Charging problem on 95' E220 coupe

P

PaulR

Help please, is the alternator is over charging the battery on my E220 coupe.Its already
made the battery immatate a boiling kettle (not good) and been blowing bulbs a bit to often recently.
Also the engine tickover has dropped recently (could be unrelated).
So is the alternator knackered and am I going to damage anything expensive running it like this even short term.
All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Paul.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Help please, is the alternator is over charging the battery on my E220 coupe.Its already
made the battery immatate a boiling kettle (not good) and been blowing bulbs a bit to often recently.
Also the engine tickover has dropped recently (could be unrelated).
So is the alternator knackered and am I going to damage anything expensive running it like this even short term.
All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Paul.

You need to replace the alternator Paul before you start to cook control units as well as the battery!!

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Replace the regulator or brush pack on the alt only about £20 for a new one.

jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You should be able to just change the reg pack on this one is it a 124 or 210 please

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
W124, shame really had a perfectly good alt off a 220 and tossed it in the skip.

jib

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Merc dealers sell the regulators - give your full VIN to parts dept.

OP
P

PaulR

Thanks chaps,
I'll be off to the dealers than to be parted from my money!!

Cheers all.

OP
P

PaulR

Chaps,
I'm a bit suspicious about the alternator , should it be 70 or 90 amp as its a 90 amp unit which is fitted. This doesnt seem to agree with what GSF or Eurocar suggest should be fitted. The alternators off , Ive removed the reg' pack and i'm concerned about the condition of the brush rings as they are rather worn. Everything else seems okbut there is a very small amount of end float in the bearings. Am I wasting money buyingthe reg' pack or should I be replacing the Alternator complete. Help!

Thanks.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Can you post a pic please, if you spin the alternator does it make any noise if not then its ok the copper contacts on the shaft do look a like horrid but put a pic up so we can see.
What did the brushes look like on the reg pack?
jib

OP
P

PaulR

The alternators fine in one direction and very slightly noisey in the other.The brushes look to be well worn .Sorry about the poor pics ,crap camera or operator or both!
The lower ring is the most worn.

Attachments

• Brush rings.jpg
    Brush rings.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 15
  • reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 15
  • alternator.jpg
    alternator.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 15

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They still look not too bad,,what do you do ???

OP
P

PaulR

Me personally, I'm a instrument maker (metal mangler) by trade but not for much longer as my employer is about to make me redundent after 34 years and I could of really have done without the car going wronge at the moment! Still, such is life and with you good peoples help i'm sure the coupe will be fine again soon.
The nearest place I could source a reg' pack is Mercedes world at Brooklands so I'm off there today and I may as well go have a drool at all the nice new cars while I'm there.

Cheers.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So sorry Paul to hear that :(, 34 years of dedication all gone,,can you turn your hand to similar work where you are

OP
P

PaulR

Dedication might be putting it a bit stronge Malcolm but I know what you mean.
I'm affaid I dont have a degree in anything , which seems to be a reqiurement now so I might end up a "shelf stacking technician" . Still jobs a job as they say.

Cheers.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
you have my sympathies Paul. thats why ive been doing agency stuff. not much else about round here for me

OP
P

PaulR

New reg' pack in, everything back together and it all works fine .Even the battery seems to have survived its abuse.
So I'd just like to say thanks to you all for your advice, I'll very grateful.

Cheers,

Paul.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
New reg' pack in, everything back together and it all works fine .Even the battery seems to have survived its abuse.
So I'd just like to say thanks to you all for your advice, I'll very grateful.

Cheers,

Paul.

Some good news anyway has come out of it :D:D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom