Chasing a repair

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
Dave Brooker,
The Accident Exchange have not been the problem, Churchill Ins.Co. are now saying the vehicle has not been assessed as it was not at the bodyshop when they visited. According to the manager of the bodyshop the vehicle has been assessed.
Some ends are obviously not tied together.
Swanee59

Accident management companies *can* make it very difficult of assessors to view cars, the longer drawn out the claim the more money they get...

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
My MB was meant to be ready for collection today, however when I rang the bodyshop they were very concerned because the new wheel that had been ordered had not arrived from Germany.
This has then to have tyre fitted & tracking checked.
New date - possibly middle of next week - I wont hold my breath!
Swanee59

OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
Final update,
MB returned to me looking like a brand new car, had a good inspection, could not fault it. Test drive was good.
My compliments to MotorCare 01892 517298 or www.motorcarebodyshop.co.uk for an excellent job. I would recommend if you are unfortunate to need their services.
Thanks for input from members also.
Regards,
swanee59

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I must reply to the posts below as made by Stuartmac and I quote..
Sorry, but I disagree. The car is at an MB-approved repairer. If he has it moved, particularly to a non-approved repairer, as the at-fault driver's insurer remains legally-responsible for the quality of any repairs, further delay will occur while the insurer insists on a signed waiver from 'swanee59'.

Well, theoretically, yes; however, very much depends on his insurance company. They will register that a claim has been made and, until it is fullysettled, it is 'unsettled' or 'open' and will count against him at renewal time. Moreover, adding his insurance company to the list of those involved could simply slow things down even more; that the accident management company seems to be doing what it says on their tin, and only the third-party insurer is slowing things down, seems to be a good a reason as any for not involving yet another insurance company. ..end quote..

Stuartmac ..you posted the above statements in reply to answers I gave to Swanee59, The posting I made are absolute and correct, where you got your information from no one knows, for it is not based on fact..
No 1 You must inform your own insurance company immediately of any accidents you have regardless of fault... Just read up on your insurance policy..

No. 2.. The person who owns the vehicle has the undeniable right to specify who carries out the repairs to his or her vehicle. Again the points you made have no basis in fact..

Last edited:
OP
S

swanee59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 CDI w203
A surprise

After all the trauma my MB had been through I decided to give it a treat – I hit the road early this morning and headed for Horndean, I knew that if I timed it right the Hindhead roadworks wouldn’t be too much of a problem.
We arrived at PCS in Horndean to meet BlackC55 (Olley) for a pre-booked visit.
A greeting and onto the ramp.
My 50K miles MB was checked over and fluids plus filters changed in the engine, gearbox, torque-converter and so it didn’t feel left out also the diff. and the brake fluid was also changed.
The inspection found a couple of things to do at a later date, but nothing drastic thank goodness!
A very pleasant morning was had by me and my MB, the hospitality was good and we left at lunchtime with a knowledge that 85 miles plus the Hindhead works it is worth the trip to meet Olley and his magic hands.
On the way home I think my MB was smiling.
Swanee59

discoking

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
1985 500SEL
Unless you really like the car I would let them write it off as any insurance work will be recorded and your car will loose half it's value straight away which,in the future,will make it harder to get a good deal on your next purchase.

stuartmac

Reaction score
Hi,

I must reply to the posts below as made by Stuartmac
Good grief! :shock: Where did this sneak in from? :confused:

Right, let me see if I can sort out the confusion ...

where you got your information from no one knows, for it is not based on fact
Well, if over twenty years dealing with insurance companies - sometimes from inside the industry and sometimes from outside - isn't 'fact', what would you call it? Would, say, 'reality' do?

No 1 You must inform your own insurance company immediately of any accidents you have regardless of fault... Just read up on your insurance policy
I agree ... afaik, every insurance policy says that.

BUT (and it's a J-Lo), read the o.p.'s early posts. He specifically says:-

A. the third party's insurers have admitted liability;

B. as well as them, he has an accident management company involved and the repairer;

C. he specifically says that the only delay is authorisation from the third-party insurers to the repairer.

I posted "very much depends on his insurance company" for a very good reason; the reality is insurance companies vary (and it has nothing to do with how big or well-known they are). It's entirely possible that informing his insurer then wouldn't have affected the time to get the third-party insurer to authorise the repairs. Otoh, it's just as likely his insurer held things up while someone pored over all the correspondence, on the basis of "protecting their insured's interests". :roll:

No. 2.. The person who owns the vehicle has the undeniable right to specify who carries out the repairs to his or her vehicle. Again the points you made have no basis in fact..
With respect, you should check the facts again.

Firstly here, you are correct that the vehicle owner can specify who carries out the repairs (he/she can do them him/herself if he/she so wishes).

Again, BUT. Some years ago, insurance companies were made legally liable for the quality of repairs - essentially, it stops the shysters (and, yes, they still exist) having the car 'repaired' by a large bloke with a big hammer and then blown over with some aerosols. So, while 'swanee59' can now post "MB returned to me looking like a brand new car, ... Test drive was good", he's unlikely to be back in six months' time complaining about rust bubbling through the paint and the wheel falling off.

To fulfil this legal obligation, an insurance company will hand a damaged vehicle over to an 'approved' repairer, and the 'approval' is by the vehicle's maker, not the insurance company. So, as well as MB-approved repairers, there are Bentley-approved repairers, Ford-approved repairers, Nissan-approved repairers, yadda, yadda.

So, as I say, you are correct that the vehicle owner can specify who carries out the repairs; however, as I also said, if the chosen repairer is not 'approved', the insurance company will insist on a waiver from the vehicle owner, which would've involved more delay, and it was delay that 'swanee59' was complaining about in his original post.

Hth.

Regards,

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom