Checking power steering fluid level

David R

Reaction score
Can anybody help me with a small query on my W209 CLK320 power steering? The other day when I was just a couple of hundred yards in to my journey, I had to execute a sharp and sudden right hand turn. At that point the power steering started making a whining noise, similar to when you're on full lock, but more pronounced. This was accompanied by a slight vibration through the wheel, and continued even when driving straight ahead. I returned home and turned the car off.

I went to check the fluid level in the pump, but found that the dipstick has two min/max markings on it, one says 20ºC, the other says 22ºC. Which one am I supposed to use? What if the temperature is neither 20 or 22ºC? The fluid was actually just on the minimum line of the lower of the two (20ºC).

There did appear to be some oil to the rear of the pump so it may be leaking slightly. However, ever since the car has been fine with no strange noises at all.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
More than likely one of the relief valves stuck open, being a tiny bit low on the level wont make any difference, leave it and see.

malcolm

OP
D

David R

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, Television.

It was in for a service last month, and I got them to check it. They concurred there was a very slight leak, but nothing to worry about. It's been fine since.

On the subject of services, I found MB Bath (actually in Peasdown St. John) to be very helpful, and £100 cheaper than both MB Bristol & MB Weston-super-Mare. I phoned all three dealers asking about the discounted servicing available on cars > 3 years old (or is it 4?). MB Weston said that didn't apply to the "B" service, and MB Bristol said their price (coincedentally the same as MB Weston) already included the discount!

Top Bottom