Cherished number plate

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag F-Pace, BMW Z4
Hi

We bought a car with a 'dateless' cherished number plate attached. 3 numbers 3 letters. We've had it for a number of years now so the number effectively is ours, I like it, Mrs does not. If we put another cherished number on the car what happens to the number now assigned to it ? Will DVSA retain it then give it back to us when we come to sell car and we can put our dateless plate back on, or will it revert to its original dated plate which will be a 51 reg ?

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
As far as I'm aware it will revert back to it's original 51 plate if you do as you suggest and the one which is one it now will go back to Swansea.

If this is what you want then fine, but if you want to keep the one which is on it now then put it on retention for a fee of £80 and you can then change to your new plate once the paperwork has gone through, usually a matter of days not weeks.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
First thing to understand is the number plate is not yours no matter how long you have owned the car, because all registration numbers in the UK are owned by DVLA. Where people get confused and the reason they pay money is for the right to assign a number to a vehicle, that is all.

I would suggest that if you don't want to lose the number that is on your car at present you put it on retention which costs £80 and lasts for a standard minimum period of 10 years (can be renewed), the car will be issued a 51 plate then you can assign the new number of your choosing.
When you come to sell and take this new number off, the likelihood is that the number it was previously assigned (51) will go back on.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The car will revert back to the 51 plate as per Dave above - the dateless plate will go back to the DVLA and they'll no doubt put it up for sale

I'd also put in on an £80 retention then list it with one of the plate sellers

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Do you have the Certificate of entitlement for the plate a V750??

I would put it on Retention, the DVLA will send you a '51 plate to put on it, you could then buy a different plate to put on it

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you have the Certificate of entitlement for the plate a V750??
A V750 or V778 is simply the right to use the number and assign it to a vehicle, but as the number in this case is already on the vehicle then no such certificate will exist or have any value.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A V750 or V778 is simply the right to use the number and assign it to a vehicle, but as the number in this case is already on the vehicle then no such certificate will exist or have any value.

When I sold a plate I had to transfer ownership at a cost of £25 to the buyer which generated a new V750 so they could put it on their car, my thought process was if that hadn't been done when the car was purchased then the last owner would still have the right to the plate

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
When I sold a plate I had to transfer ownership at a cost of £25 to the buyer which generated a new V750 so they could put it on their car, my thought process was if that hadn't been done when the car was purchased then the last owner would still have the right to the plate
As long as you've the V5 in your name showing the plate then you can put it on retention

More than one car owner has lost the right to the plate by not waiting for a new V5 to come through without their cherished plate on. The new owner of the car if they register it fast enough gets a V5 with the cherished plate on.. it is then theirs to do with as they please (within DVLA rules natch...)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I understand the way you are thinking, but once a number is assigned to a vehicle it is no different to any other number. The current registered keeper has the right to put it on retention or transfer to another vehicle.

OP
Mark Q

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, I did suspect that I would loose it if I did not put on retention, that just adds another £80 to the transaction plan.
We have moved numbers around before so am familiar with the process, a lot easier now you don't have to visit the non
'Local' registration office.
Cheers.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, I did suspect that I would loose it if I did not put on retention, that just adds another £80 to the transaction plan.
We have moved numbers around before so am familiar with the process, a lot easier now you don't have to visit the non
'Local' registration office.
Cheers.

Are you going to sell it?

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Compared with 20yrs ago driving into town and getting in a smelly queue to do at a counter in the local DVLA office the current online system is a dream.... all sorted in minutes.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Compared with 20yrs ago driving into town and getting in a smelly queue to do at a counter in the local DVLA office the current online system is a dream.... all sorted in minutes.
If I remember right it was around 2013 that the DVLA local offices closed here.
I was never in a smelly queue but the rest I agree with. :D
When buying a brand new car the process is even easier because you don't have to do anything other than give your dealer the document reference number from your V5C. :)

OP
Mark Q

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you going to sell it?
No, will keep if I manage to purchase the plate I'm after, may let you all know in a few weeks.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
How could a numberplate be cherished?

I don’t get the obsession with “personal” number plates.

I do recall back in about 1980 when I was visiting the UK and my dad (who was living here at the time ) told me that a colleague had purchased a plate for his newborn son (RW 17). Initials of the kid and age for driving I think. I simply could not relate to it.

Seems like 'not posh' wanting to be ‘posh' or is it something different?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I do recall back in about 1980 when I was visiting the UK and my dad (who was living here at the time ) told me that a colleague had purchased a plate for his newborn son (RW 17). Initials of the kid and age for driving I think. I simply could not relate to it.

Something different

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec

I’m the same, to me it’s a piece of non functional plastic that is just a legal requirement. Never bought a private plate but the S70R came with a S70 xxx plate when I bought it. That gets a few comments annually but, I just say thank you hoping they do one pronto. The S350 came with a private plate on it, means nothing to me but, it’s a piece plastic, that I simply refuse to spend any time, money and effort on. Couldn’t care less.

I know some people including relatives who have a hoard of them…..Each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I’m the same, to me it’s a piece of non functional plastic that is just a legal requirement. Never bought a private plate but the S70R came with a S70 xxx plate when I bought it. That gets a few comments annually but, I just say thank you hoping they do one pronto. The S350 came with a private plate on it, means nothing to me but, it’s a piece plastic, that I simply refuse to spend any time, money and effort on. Couldn’t care less.

I know some people including relatives who have a hoard of them…..Each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I kind of get it when it is a person’s proper initials etc or it matches the car . But when it is contrived using numbers and screws in the wrong place:rolleyes:.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I like the non-contrived ones and I have one with my initials (SRO) on that I've had since Pontious was only cabin staff!
In my opinion it adds something to the car.
Other may not agree but I don't care! :cool:

BC41D7E1-36EA-4999-89DC-2A0893D19F0F.jpeg

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My plate that I bought in December 1998 is a standard suffix type first issued in 1976. The first 3 letters is my first name which is why I bought it, and it has been on every car I have owned since.
The plate has become a part of me and my cars and it somehow wouldnt feel right now to have a car without this number on it.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom