CL500, CL63 and others......decisions, decisions

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CL600 / 2007 / 5.5 litre
Hi, and thanks in advance for anyone who'll spare me their thoughts and experiences to assist my predicament.

I've been a BMW driver (6 different 3 series convertibles over the last 14 years) and now looking to make a bit of a step change. I have a budget of £25k/£30k, looking to buy something sporty with a touch of class. My mileage is probably 80/20 motorway/urban driving, and around 18k miles per year.

I've played with the idea of a few different cars and ruled them out. AM Vantage didn't tick enough boxes and didn't blow my socks off like I thought it would. Nissan GTR, nice but few out there, need a bit more money and still a Nissan. The Bentley GT looks a little unreliable with people suggesting to need £10k per year for repairs. And also considered the Chelsea Tractors, but they don't tick the sporty box.

So, in the mix remain the CL500 and after a test drive at the weekend more likely the C63. If people could please therefore provide their thoughts and experiences it would be much appreciated. Some of my questions would include:

1) Is the feel of the CL500 really so different to the CL63?
2) What are your experiences in terms of reliability?
3) There tends to be a lot of toys on the car. Does anyone have problems with these? Cameras failing? Massage seats giving up?
4) Does the car have any particular issues, such as timing chain going?
5) How far round the clock will these cars go? Would you rule out buying a car with 70k on the clock?
6) With my mixed mileage, predominantly motorway, what would you estimate mpg to be? 18/19?
7) What mileage do you get out of the tyres?
8) Of the above possible motors, does anyone have experience of any of these? If so am I making the right choice with the CL?

Any feedback on the above or any other information would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Mark

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have had a fully loaded CL500 for 2½ years, it an early 2007 car. It has been very good, the only thing failing being one valve in the drivers seat for the dynamic cornering.

There are few reported problems on the 216.

The facelift came out 12-2010 with the blue engine.

My car now showing 57k miles, it returned 31mpg on a 300 mile trip each way over the week end, I did not even take a break.

Last year we did the 1500 drive to Sweden, leaving the Hoek at 8am and on to Putgarden and into Sweden in the same day.

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your reply Television........fairly positive feedback from your car then.

The science and engineering that goes into these things is phenomenal so I understand that things will go wrong now and again, but I just need to make sure these cars won't have me in the garage every five minutes and bleeding the bank dry!

As for your 30mpg, I regularly do a 240 mile round trip from Liverpool to Birmingham in my BMW 325i and it averages 28mpg, so to hear your figures is actually quite refreshing!

Thanks again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The CL63 gives mixed feelings on the pre 2011 cars, mainly the suspension is linked to the gear shift mode, most owners say it is neither one thing or the other.

The pre blue engine takes the CL50o to 60 in 5.5 seconds.

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Given my budget probably stretches to pre-2010 models only, I'm picking up that perhaps the CL500 is the way to go.

I felt the CL63 was well overpowered, and with just a little moisture on the road, foot down starting from the blocks and the traction control was kicking in as the wheels were wheel spinning.

But I like the CL63 look, so perhaps the way to go may be a specced up CL500 with the AMG kit, and save £5k?!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes a good spec car is fine with no changes from the on set in 2006 to Nov 2010.
I have the
HK sound
Keyless go
AMG body kit
comfort seats
Parking assist
Distronic
TV
Night vision
Wood steering wheel
Nappa leather
Dynamic seats

The only thing I do not have is the rear blind and camera, the camera is dead easy to add.

I have fitted my own DAB radio

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds right up my street Malcolm........let me know when you're selling it! :wink:

nick7nick7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350
malcolm, did you see the c63 for sale at Lotherton...of course you did, it was only 25k including the plate! "C63 AMG"

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
malcolm, did you see the c63 for sale at Lotherton...of course you did, it was only 25k including the plate! "C63 AMG"

I did Nick, but not for me, yes a lovely car but I think it will be a SL again the next time.

the director

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 R 350 Grand Edition; 2015 S 350
A bit like Malcolm, I'm in a 2008 CL500 with the AMG body kit and wheels. Personally I reckon that this is the way to go (unless you need considerably more than 400ish bhp!).

If you really want it to look like the 63 then, on the outside just change the rear diffuser; exhaust pipes and front grill. It's a different story on the inside with the 63 seats and logos etc but, if you're doing 18k a rear then the 63 seats may not be what you're looking for comfort wise (I don't have any experience of the 63 on long distances though).

Again, like Malcolm I get 30mpg on the motorway and urban driving returns mid to low 20's.

I bought mine at 76,000 miles about a year ago. The only trouble I've had is engine management sensor go which was about £100 fitted. I've had one service so far which required a new set of front discs and pads (which was to be expected). Unfortunately this showed up a seized brake calliper and a worn bush on one of the lower wishbones (probably should not have passed the MOT). This set me back about £900 all-in but, was a one off and is the kind of thing that could be attributed to any car really.

Tyres aren't cheap (I'm on 20" rims) and I've had to fit a set of rears at about £240 each. This was to be expected and was factored into the purchase price but, I still did a further 6k before they needed replacing (they got through the MOT okay but I replaced them anyway). I guess longevity depends upon how heavy your right foot is but, it seems to me that tyre lifetime is no better/worse than any other similar car. The one thing I would think about next time round is whether the size/profile of the tyres creates proportionately more road noise. The 20" rims look great but in a car with double glazing and designed to be quiet at cruising speeds, has the trade-off for fashion compromised the car a bit. I think that standard rims are either 17 or 18" and 19" AMG rims probably would provide a better looks/road noise compromise.

I've got the rear camera which I think is a nice edition as it certainly helps with reverse parking given the width of the car. The HK sound system is nice but, I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having it. Beyond that, given the spec of the car as standard, everything else are just toys which you'll use a bit and then forget to forget about.

One thing that I would look for is the bluetooth connectivity. Malcolm will be along in a minute with the correct dates but, I think that the pre-facelift cars (pre 2010 without the blue efficiency engines) don't have proper phone bluetooth. You'll have to buy a Viseeo type adaptor that plugs into the centre arm rest in order to get your phone to bluetooth to the car. The other thing that the pre 2010 cars don't have is full iphone music type connectivity - they just have a standard audio connection in the glove box. This isn't really a problem since their is a PCMI slot into which you can load SD card (I think the benefit of the later cars is that they also have a hard drive function onto which you can load music - again, Malcolm will be along in a minute to put us right on this!).

All-in, is the car any good? All I can say is that when I change (and I'm starting to look), I'll be heading for a post 2010 blue-efficiency version with the AMG body kit. Probably says all you need to know!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes its a real bluetooth on the 2011 car Dec 2010 on. These have the AMG body kit as standard. Yes the 20" wheels are noisier than the 18" and I run the same size 18" all round to reduce the noise from wide rear tyres. As Director said you can load music direct to the HD.

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for sharing your experiences to date Director, there's some good feedback there.

You're right, I don't need more than 400bhp, so with the AMG kit on a CL500 I'd get the more styled aggressive look, fantastic performance, but just wouldn't get that beautiful CL63 noise! :( Car for car though taking this suggested route would probably be a £5k saving?!

It's good to hear that your mileage is up there with Malcolms experiences and it gives me that bit more comfort. Also the fact you bought at 76k miles, and your car has reliably served you well is also good to hear, as dependent upon CL63 or CL500, I could be looking in the 50k-70k mileage bracket.

I'm with you on the tyres, pricey, but no more, in fact cheaper than the stuped 265/30/ZR20's I'm currently riding on which are £300 a piece. Bluetooth is important to me but if not fitted then it seems there's an answer, as there is with music storage in lieu of ipod connection. So there's answers to both.

Like you said, the fact you're getting another CL tells it's own story, so once again thanks for your valued post!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If I can find another SL with everything I will be selling my CL soon, 56 k miles.

I bought it for my handicapped wife as it the only car in the world made where you can fully operate the passenger seat from the drivers side.

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmmmm, interesting possible proposal Malcolm........you sound like a man who takes care and pride in his car so no doubt FMBSH, good specification, got everything I'm looking for both interior and with the AMG kit........have you got any photo's? What colour is the car and leather?

michiganstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500, R171 SLK300
I did Nick, but not for me, yes a lovely car but I think it will be a SL again the next time.

Malcolm - I could do with your help on something but I cant see that I can private message you.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
full service up to the last and a very good indie on the last service

DSC01069_zps4d15dde5.jpg

DSC00969_zps5ee39068.jpg

DSC00967_zps0c47414f.jpg

DSC00756-1.jpg

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's a beautiful looking car Malcolm, and looks well cared for inside and out. Black leather and dark trim as wanted, but was hoping for black paint. :( Life is full of compromise though, so perhaps if our timings line up, you find an SL, I haven't found the black CL with specification/mileage/price that I'm looking for then who know's, we could end up shaking hands. I'll hope for more posts off others here in terms of CL500/CL63 experiences, so let's keep in touch here in terms of any movement in the market by either of us!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
90% of the post 2011 are black, very few earlier ones are, there is the odd one but hardly any right now for sale with any options at all, you may be lucky who knows. there are only 5 member on here with a CL216

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom