CL500 "Front seat backrest unlocked" warning

m2287

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bentley Continental GT - S55K AMG - RR vogue - Mazda6 estate
I'm really hoping that this won't be the case.

If you raise the seat base all the way up, put it forward and lay in the back looking up into the seat you might just be able to see that switch, there is another one on the other side which is easier to get to but I doubt the cables would break in that area. I'll have a look and see if I took any pictures when I did mine

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thanks v much indeed. So bottom corners of the seat then? Ta.

m2287

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks v much indeed. So bottom corners of the seat then? Ta.

Yea almost for sure it will be the cable going to the switch under the seat belt clip.

OP
Roadtoad

Roadtoad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 W215 CL500, W168 CDI170
The other is under the seat base corner rear left as you sit looking forward. The wire runs from the switch under the plastic trim on the outside and links to it. You can take out the seat base without removing the entire seat by un bolting the worm drive spindle at the back + any connectors at the front and then just slide it off. I think I raised mine first before disconnecting wires. Its easy to slide off but a bugger to slide back on although if you had a helper to watch from underneath as you slide it back on it would be easier. Dont be tempted to undo the sliders themselves as they snap off before they undo. Terrible design

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Well last night I had some news. Into the car, pulled up handle to tilt the seat forwards for my briefcase to sit in its usual place. Only... the seat wouldn't budge.

It still won't, it's locked forwards which means at a guess that the Bowden cable has slackened somewhere. The handle still has some spring to it so the cable hasn't snapped.

On the plus side, the red warning message has gone away, so I can live with it until I get a dry weekend to start mucking about.

Last edited:

m2287

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had similar, I took the covers off from around the mechanism at the base of the seat and lubed it all up everywhere, all was fine after that! I think there was one bit which had gotten stuck which I released manually first!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom