Climate Control and Aircon

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
I always leave mine on Auto but if I have the roof open then I hit the "AC off button and the display shows AC off (but in very small letters).

What I do love about the Merc are the 2 dials which send the air to feet or head or middle or any number of combinations without affecting what the CC is trying to do. On my wifes Audi, any changes made to where the air is directed turns off the Auto function.

MarkCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Avantgarde
Just to say that I noticed a 3-4mpg drop in fuel economy too which though it doesn't sound much can be enough to make a difference when you already struggle to hit a 25mpg average ;)

Still, I'm happier to have it than not otherwise hot days would become unbearable even with windows and sunroof open. Occasionally though I do like to just have the sunroof open and I tend to switch the AC off (everything to ECON) then as I don't see the point in leaving it on when all that nice cool air will just go straight out through the roof.

As to the mention of worse fuel economy with all the windows open versus all closed an AC on, I don't see how people can drive along at 70mph with the windows open in the first place - its just too noisy and blustery. I can say though that with the sunroof open and AC off I don't notice any hit on my MPG v when the roof is closed and the AC is off in ECON mode, but with AC on I always notice it no matter what the weather is like.

Cheers,
Mark

Wingreen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1994 W124 E200 Petrol Estate - over 200,000 miles, but sadly at journeys end. Also a 2003 CDi 220
Probably a stupid question - but just bought a 03 Cdi 220 Classic and all it has is an Auto button and an EC button. No sign of an "Air Conditioning" button. I really expected it to have A/C but, from what I can work out, there IS NO A/C on my car (Manual doesn't really help). Have I missed something? (Certainly can't get it to throw out the cooling chilled air that normally get from A/C)

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by survey
Tried just using the 'Auto' button yesterday WITHOUT the A/C light being on. I found that there WAS cooling. Thus the 'Auto' setting does switch the cooling compressor on. Is it just that without the A/C light on there is no dehumidification, although I would have thought with cooling comes the dehumidifying anyway??

I'd be very surprised if the air con is running in any way, shape or form when the A/C light is off, whether auto is selected or not.

(I know older MB's are different as when the light is off, air con is on)

The A/C lamp default setting is :: Lamp on = NO A/C Lamp off = A/C on both my 210's and the current 211. Easy to check turn to coolest setting activate auto see which setting gives the cooest flow i.e. lamp on or off. Needs to be done with a warm engine. I seem to remember reading a hand book once and getting very confused by the way it was worded.

s-classmatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 s class 320.oldest merc was a j reg 230ce pillarless couple,pure class
ive just got my s class 320(2001) and notice that it leaks clear fresh water after i stop...im taking it that its from the climate control,how can i stop this?

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
ive just got my s class 320(2001) and notice that it leaks clear fresh water after i stop...im taking it that its from the climate control,how can i stop this?

turn the aircon off about five minutes before journey end to remove built up ice on evaporator.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom