CLK 208 Soft Top tension Cable replacement

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
My Soft top started to have the problem where it would not always stay up once pushed the first 8 inches, and would also slam shut when closing instead of needing to be pulled shut.

The cause of this problem is that one, or both of the tension cables has snapped. Its a short cable, about 18 inches long, a nipple at one end to be secured in the metal frame at the rear apex of the roof, and the other end has a large tube (6 inches long) that bolts to the section at the front of the roof, under the trim.

Tools needed, Philips Screwdriver, 10mm socket and T10 torx.

First off, this is where my problem area was, the nipple had pulled off the end of the cable.
000fgy.jpg

Next, go and buy a new one, £80 each side, so do check if you need just the one, or both sides.
001qbyy.jpg

Raise the bow, and switch off the ignition leaving the roof still folded. Remove the four philips screws.
002xpg.jpg

With a T10 torx, unscrew the bolt that holds the roof catch handle
003oby.jpg

The actual threaded section is around 12mm so apply a downward pressure on the handle and it should soon slide out
004ld.jpg

Carefully prise off the trim, taking care with the four plastic retainers.
005zrg.jpg

With that trim panel removed, take out the two small philips screws that holds the lower cloth trim in place, fold out of the way and the 10mm nut that secures the cable is now exposed.
006zui.jpg

Operate the roof until it reaches this position, any lower and it will close itself under gravity, you have been warned.
007amo.jpg

Remove the 10mm nut, and remove the tubed end of the cable, taking note of the path through the trim that it travels.

At the rear of the apex in the roof, locate and remove the other end of the cable, taking care to not lose the nipple retaining clip that is in two halves.
008xf.jpg

Thread the nipple end through from the front of the roof first, through the openings in the lining, and through the hole in the roof frame.
009ez.jpg

Now reattach the two halves of the retaining clip just above the nipple, and push it back into the hole until its fully seated.
010xo.jpg

Now you are done, refit the tubed end, securing the 10mm nut, lower the roof, leaving the bow standing upright and refit the rest of the trim.

Total time was around 30m, this included stopping to take pictures.

Last edited:

shaz

Reaction score
I tried to change the cable but couldn't get pass the roof catch handle pin just won't open with T10 torx key. advice plpase.

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
Excellent Miffy you should make a video to put on youtube

Clive

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK230 Convertable. 2.3 litres
Hi,
My question is for Miffy, if those tension cables faild would it stop the roof from lifting the six to eight inches you talked about. Also does shut the system down and stop the roof from retracking into the boot. This is my problem and I posted a message on the forum (In the Electric area) tonight (Tuesday) in a request for help.

Regards, Cliff

OP
Miffy

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the tension cables snap (1 each side) then yes, it will stop the roof from holding itself up that first stop, but as long as your holding the roof in position, it should still retract fully as they are not used as part of the folding system. I guess its possible one of the snapped cables could be fowling the retraction mechanism?

OP
Miffy

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I tried to change the cable but couldn't get pass the roof catch handle pin just won't open with T10 torx key. advice plpase.

what happens when you unscrew the pin?

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK230 Convertable. 2.3 litres
Hi,
I've not tried anything yet due to work commitments, but I will have a look at the weekend. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll perhaps come back on line at the weekend one I've had the fault codes checked and also looked at the locked device.

Regards, Cliff

alan keenan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 2001 3.2
Hi can anyone tell me where to get the tension cables for clk 208 thanks Alan.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Only from mercedes.

Peter_F

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK cabriolet 1998 320
Thanks Miffy, could you please kindly update the links to the photos of the repair to replace the roof cables?

HouseofStrauss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 cabriolet 2002
Having the exact same issue as described by the OP. Would be very grateful if Miffy reposted the images. They have expired.

Thank-you :)

Nuno Almeida

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 CLK 230 Kompressor cabrio
Hello, I have same problem but i cant see the pics, can anyone help me?
Regards

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Its an old post so the photos have gone.

My car has the same problem also, I must get around to ficing it sometime.

If you have a search on Google there are a lot of guides about it:

Also this video:

Nuno Almeida

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 CLK 230 Kompressor cabrio
Its an old post so the photos have gone.

My car has the same problem also, I must get around to ficing it sometime.

If you have a search on Google there are a lot of guides about it:

Also this video:

Thank you.
I found a complete soft top, now i need to know how where can i find infos about how to take of of the old one and put the new.
Regards :)

Top Bottom