CLK 230 Wheels and Tyre Options

kyoto

Reaction score
I am changing my Avantgarde 2001 model alloys and tyres for 18" replicas, Carlsson look best option at the moment.

Being a beginner, can anyone advise on tyre sizes. I have seen deals with 8J on front and 9J rear with correspoding tyres of 225 and 245.

I have been offered 8.5J with 225's all around. Can I fit a wider tyre on the same 8.5J rim and so 245's on the rear or do I need to go with the different wheel widths as mentioned above? Many thanks for any help in advance.

:confused:

angus falconer

Reaction score
kyoto said:
I have seen deals with 8J on front and 9J rear with correspoding tyres of 225 and 245.

This sounds like the original "staggered" set up. My C43 AMG has this spec as did the CLK 55 at that time.

I presume the extra inch at the rear was to cope with the grunt of the V8 - you probably don't need the tyre/rim width though it looks good.

Can't comment on alternaites for the front

rossclifford

Reaction score
I have 18 inch wheels on my CLK 230K, although they are sized at 225/40 front and 255/35 rear. Handles fine but you do get a fair bit of road niose off them even with brand new Falken FK452's fitted.

clive williams

Reaction score
kyoto said:
I am changing my Avantgarde 2001 model alloys and tyres for 18" replicas, Carlsson look best option at the moment.

Being a beginner, can anyone advise on tyre sizes. I have seen deals with 8J on front and 9J rear with correspoding tyres of 225 and 245.

I have been offered 8.5J with 225's all around. Can I fit a wider tyre on the same 8.5J rim and so 245's on the rear or do I need to go with the different wheel widths as mentioned above? Many thanks for any help in advance.

:confused:

Kyoto,
(I assume your into zero carbon emissions? in which case why are you putting high drag tyres on?)

You don't state what aspect ratio the proposed tyres are? I assume that you've been offered 40% ones. In which case the fronts are marginally smaller for the 225s and marginally bigger for the 245s. There will be a small change in the gearing that for all practical purposes should be acceptable but don't rely on it in court.
Its questionable whether the car can, unless its an E55, use the tyre widths you suggest. IMO the rear 245s would be required if you had >400lbft of torque to cope with (but only on a dry road). The disadvantage of differing tyre widths is that you cannot even out the wear by swapping them front to rear - fronts wear the shoulders and rears the mid section - thereby their life expectancy would be halved ~15-18k mls.
The 225s on 8.5Js will I think be stretched onto the rim but I can see that accommodating a wider tyre on the front will be difficult.
Personally, I would stay with one tyre width and no bigger than 8J rim width with an ET34/35 offset.
I won't comment on the question of ride quality/handling .v. looks

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom