CLK 230k Buying Advice

aberdeen clk

Reaction score
First Post for me looking for some info on CLKs.

I'm looking at a 2001 car with 75k on the clock.

I have had a test drive and it drove perfectly.

However when initially selecting drive there was a slight noise. Kind of a rubbing.
It didn't sound serious and its maybe me being over cautios but I wondered if a little noise when engaging drive is normal on a car of this age?

I've only driven a brand new autobox so maybe this has given me a false perspective?

Can any CLK owners tell me if this sounds normal?

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
doesnt sound normal at all, currently my advice is to steer clear but I am sure some much wiser than me will give you their thoughts on this rubbing noise

welcome to the forum btw :)

OP
A

aberdeen clk

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

I don't know if rubbing noise sums it up correcty - that may make it sound worse than it actually was.

It was just a noise which mean you could definetly hear it engage into drive.

Is it normal for the car to be silent when going into drive?

Once in drive there was no slippage, hesitation, overdrive worked perfectly nor any other issues.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Very difficult to diagnose the noise you are hearing, but if the car is a genuine 75,000miles with no rust, and this is the only thing stopping you from buying it ask the owner if the noise could be rectified for you, or get an independant vehicle inspection done by the AA or such like.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I will second what Andy have said, If you getting car in good condition with genuine mileage then go for it as it may just need the automatic transmission fluid changed which is usually £150.

You can also take it to local Indie and get it all checked out for reassurance.

Welcome to forums

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom