CLK 320 CDI good car

Peteee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ob Black CLK 320 CDI 2006
Rather than the usual tale of woe I thought I would post a positive tale

12 months ago I needed to replace my lease car which the wife used mainly ( Toyota Rav 06 diesel which was a good car )

Anyway after much reading of the forum and noting weak spots I went for a Dec 05 CLK in black and eventually found one with an independant in Surrey, an ex RBS car with 26000 miles on the clock.

I got the dealer to do a B service and to report on anything that needed changing at shared cost. He replaced front discs and pads and installed new set of glow plugs.

In addition I got him to fit aftermarket parking sensors plus a simple Parrot phone link wired to steering controls. This works well.

Having got the car home from Surrey I was amazed how smooth the V6 enginge was and the 7 speed box is brill. Not to mentrion I got nearly 50mpg on that run albeit I was steady motorway driving.

Once home I got the car to my local Shrewsbury dealers and they did various updates to the ECU as the car had only ever had independent servicing during its life, 1st service was Strutgart garage South Wales.

The dealer also fitted an updated sensor on the engine and oil filler modification and software updates re gearbox, under warrenty FOC, so I was well pleased there.

For their good service, whilst with them, I had a new pair of Contis fitted to the rear replacing some well worn Falkens, which I did'nt like the look of.

Not knowing what engine oil was in the car I got WDM indies in Birmingham to drop the oil and filter just to ensure the right grade of fully synthetic.

Since then the car has run like a dream and pulls like a train. It frequently returns excess of 40mpg + and mid 30's around town.

Because I found the command system lacking post codes etc I had my smart nav installed which is a good system.

I also replaced the headlamp bulbs for the Phillips uprated ones which has made a vast improvement The originals seemed dim

Around Sept I returned to my dealer to take up the free safety check. They spent ages going over the car and eventually handed me a written report with the only thing they could find. Rear pads 70% worn

So nearly 12 months on and 6500 miles the car has proved to be a good one.

The wife grabs the keys everyday and all I have to do is wash it & put in deisel :( I normally go for BP Ultimate on all my motors.

She thinks we are all raving mad on these forums and says she cannot understand how we all go on saying we love our cars and was totally gobsmacked when I told her of a certain member on here who had slept with in his new car when he 1st took it home (You know who you are haha):roll:

Long term my only worries are handling in the winter snow, if we get any. Did think about spare set of winter wheels/tyres but seems abit extreme expensive for the weather with have had in recent winters.

Anyway thats my little story so far. :smile:

Just about to get mot arranged next month and most likely get some new Contis for the fronts which have some non descript make due for replacing. Not to sure when the next service will get flagged.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That is a nice report, and probably valid for the 90% of MB's driving around who are not on the forums.

I wonder who slept in their car on the first day :rolleyes:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Rather than the usual tale of woe I thought I would post a positive tale

Just about to get mot arranged next month and most likely get some new Contis for the fronts which have some non descript make due for replacing. Not to sure when the next service will get flagged.

Good to hear of a satisfied customer! I too have been completely satisfied with my choice of cars. With diesels of this sort, I expect to average over 40 mpg. I use Conti tyres, as a like for like swap of the original equipment. I find them quiet and get good tyre life out of them.

Finally, given that you drive 6,500 per year, expect your next service 2 years after the last one (frequency is 15,500 (can be more) or 2 years for your car, whichever is the soonest).

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Long term my only worries are handling in the winter snow, if we get any. Did think about spare set of winter wheels/tyres but seems abit extreme expensive for the weather with have had in recent winters.

Fully understand how you feel, thats why we all run them.
On the snow issue, In the few bits of snow I've experienced in my mercs (probably 5 days all told), I've found them to be excellent. Yes, excellent!! And I run 245 tyres.
Ok, I struggled to get it to roll up the ridge from the garage up-to the snow initially but I only had a few inches so couldn't get a run up. Once out, I've never been stuck. The ESP goes ten to the dozen but so long as you drive carefully and gently, it seems to go everywhere. I have a Freelander2 but even when I was going over the pennines every day I didn't feel the need to swap out of the merc. Ok I live in the city technically (right on the edge) but unless you live out in the sticks, roads are normally sufficiently cleared by the time we venture out that its really not an issue.

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
Fully understand how you feel, thats why we all run them.
On the snow issue, In the few bits of snow I've experienced in my mercs (probably 5 days all told), I've found them to be excellent. Yes, excellent!! And I run 245 tyres.
Ok, I struggled to get it to roll up the ridge from the garage up-to the snow initially but I only had a few inches so couldn't get a run up. Once out, I've never been stuck. The ESP goes ten to the dozen but so long as you drive carefully and gently, it seems to go everywhere. I have a Freelander2 but even when I was going over the pennines every day I didn't feel the need to swap out of the merc. Ok I live in the city technically (right on the edge) but unless you live out in the sticks, roads are normally sufficiently cleared by the time we venture out that its really not an issue.

If you see my thread 'Bridgestone Tyres' today, you will note that I posed a query regarding MB's in the snow. Your comment on this thread is certainly encouraging as my car was OE spec with wider 225 tyres and the car's use in snow in the rural community where I live is a worry as I have not yet gone through a winter with this car.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Ok, I struggled to get it to roll up the ridge from the garage up-to the snow initially but I only had a few inches so couldn't get a run up. Once out, I've never been stuck.

Like you, I have had no trouble with snow or ice. I drive on standard size (220/55/16) tyres and have never contemplated winter tyres.

We do not get much snow around here, but I grew up in Aberdeenshire, where snow is not uncommon, and am not inhibited by tackling poor conditions.

You are, however, only as good as the person in front. If they block the road, that is it!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
You are, however, only as good as the person in front. If they block the road, that is it!

True. A couple of years ago I took my parents out to a Christmas Fair at a local stately home. They'd put the marquees at the top of a hill and had parking on the field below. Unfortunately it had been raining and the field was wet mud and grass. I stopped at the bottom of the field and watched people sitting all over with the wheels going round, digging themselves further in and thought about parking up where I was, but then I thought, I'm not walking up there in this rain so lets see how far I can get.
Less than 1/4" of throttle, engine around 1200rpm and when she wriggled I just let ESP do its thing. She burbled up the hill, past FWDs spinning away and even a 4wd struggling. I figured I may make half way up. 30 seconds later I was parked up at the top feeling smug.

OP
P

Peteee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well that is ok for us blokes we are born drivers :rolleyes: but how does the wife drive in the snow as she is the one that uses the CLK on a daily run to work.:smile:
Our last car was a Rav which she liked being a shorty, she liked the high up superior feeling it gave her driving around. This was only short lived as the Motorola hands free voice recognition would respond to her by saying in a female American accent
"Did you say phone 5" when plainly she had said "phone 1"
She used to get her hair off and start swearing at it as if it was a real person
I used to fall about laughing which did'nt help Haha

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well that is ok for us blokes we are born drivers :rolleyes: but how does the wife drive in the snow as she is the one that uses the CLK on a daily run to work.:smile:
Our last car was a Rav which she liked being a shorty, she liked the high up superior feeling it gave her driving around. This was only short lived as the Motorola hands free voice recognition would respond to her by saying in a female American accent
"Did you say phone 5" when plainly she had said "phone 1"
She used to get her hair off and start swearing at it as if it was a real person
I used to fall about laughing which did'nt help Haha

Its like the guy that was living with a Danish lady, who complained of the route chosen by Comand,,when I said change it so that it speaks Danish and she never complained again

OP
P

Peteee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could not find a bad language setting on it :confused:

terry steward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SEPT 06 C320 AVANTEGARDE,07 VITO VAN,1989 SUPRA TURBO
no 1 cyl c320 cdi ?

as above,its been established the glow plug on no 1 cyl has gone,but we dont know which is no one cyl ?!!,looking into bonnet from front of car,nearest on right side facing us ?,or L/H side facing us ??? anyone ?,cheers, terry

boltman

Reaction score
Hi could you please tell me which phillips bulbs you used many thanks

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
That is a nice report, and probably valid for the 90% of MB's driving around who are not on the forums.

I wonder who slept in their car on the first day :rolleyes:

wouldnt like to guess! i heard they had an SL500 though!

trebronic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220 CDI 2006
Snow Tyres

Hi Guys
Now the snow is here out comes my piece of 3 ply cut to the shape of the boot floor and in go one and half 2x2 flags cover them with a blanket so it looks tidy and off we go in the snow.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom