CLK head light washers

STEc74

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car SL 350 05,sons car CLK320,other cars BMW 318IS ,95, 1964 Chev Corvair Monza restoring.
Hi, the head light washers on my sons clk 320 have stopped working,
when he activates them with lights on they go dimmer and motor sounds as though its struggling, could they just be stuck or somthing more serious.
Any sugestions please,
Thanks Steve.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The pop out headlamp squirters are powered by the washer fluid pressure.

If they're not popping out then it's likely that there is a blockage or the washer motor has siezed.

Also check that the car doesn't have a separate tank attacjed to the main one for the headlamp washers. Earlier cars did have a separate one, later ones don't.

I'm surprised that the lights dim when using the washers, however, there will be a separate pump for the headlamp washers to the windscreen ones.

The pipe will probably run infront of the radiator, but behind the bumper (usually visible when the bonnet is open) to each washer jet. It's a black pipe about 1/3" thick.

The bumper "flaps" are only sprung loaded and can be prised open by gentle use of a thin, flat blade screw driver.

The washer jets themselves can be accessed from underneath once the engine undertray has been removed.

Access to them may be restricted by the spoiler mounted foglamps.

The pipework is a push fit to the jets and the pump with a sprung clip to hold it in place.

OP
STEc74

STEc74

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car SL 350 05,sons car CLK320,other cars BMW 318IS ,95, 1964 Chev Corvair Monza restoring.
Thanks for that info Chris,will have a look tomorrow

Regards Steve.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom