1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLK head light washers

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by twistgrip, Oct 22, 2012.

1. twistgrip

twistgrip Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    My car SL 350 05,sons car CLK320,other cars BMW 318IS ,95, 1964 Chev Corvair Monza restoring.
    Hi, the head light washers on my sons clk 320 have stopped working,
    when he activates them with lights on they go dimmer and motor sounds as though its struggling, could they just be stuck or somthing more serious.
    Any sugestions please,
    Thanks Steve.

2. brandwooddixon

brandwooddixon Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 Bluefficency 2012
    The pop out headlamp squirters are powered by the washer fluid pressure.

If they're not popping out then it's likely that there is a blockage or the washer motor has siezed.

Also check that the car doesn't have a separate tank attacjed to the main one for the headlamp washers. Earlier cars did have a separate one, later ones don't.

I'm surprised that the lights dim when using the washers, however, there will be a separate pump for the headlamp washers to the windscreen ones.

The pipe will probably run infront of the radiator, but behind the bumper (usually visible when the bonnet is open) to each washer jet. It's a black pipe about 1/3" thick.

The bumper "flaps" are only sprung loaded and can be prised open by gentle use of a thin, flat blade screw driver.

The washer jets themselves can be accessed from underneath once the engine undertray has been removed.

Access to them may be restricted by the spoiler mounted foglamps.

The pipework is a push fit to the jets and the pump with a sprung clip to hold it in place.

3. OP
    twistgrip

twistgrip Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    My car SL 350 05,sons car CLK320,other cars BMW 318IS ,95, 1964 Chev Corvair Monza restoring.
    Thanks for that info Chris,will have a look tomorrow

Regards Steve.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012