CLK on Wheeler Dealers

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
I'm probably the last one to have seen this, but this week they had an SLK being revamped on Wheeler Dealers. It was (iirc) 10 years old, and bought from a scrap auction with a couple of obvious problems ref the folding metal roof.

It was an interesting programme. Mechanically it was in pretty good nick for its age except for a new Kompressor unit (OUCH!!!!) and some parts for the roof mechanism ( incl a hydraulic pump unit for £260!!!).

The bodywork is where the MB let itself down with horrible bubbling rust at the front of an A pillar, on the corner of the bonnet, and especially in the wings around the headlights. It reminded me of my old Triumph Herald in my student days....... They did some cosmetic repairs on it, but the underlying problems were still there when they sold it on.

The commentary said something like MB used to run by engineers, but then the accountants took over, bought cheap low quality steel from China, had the cars made with cheap labour and mixed manufacturing standards all over the world rather than in Germany, and it has taken 10 years for them to get their good name back.

Having spent a bit of dosh on it, though, the SLK looked great back on the road and drove really well. It looked a quality motor for just £4000.

Shame about that rust though........

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
eeeeeeeeemm think it will take more than 10 yrs to get there good name back lol

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
I wouldn't even give it 12 month before the rust rears it's head again on it.

Even now they don't seem to have got their act together with rust. There are 2007 and onwards cars ML's, A's etc which are supposedly galvanised that are rusting.

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I bought my 2001 SLK on the premise of it being a Mercedes and therefore of a high quality build and reliablity.
I was 'genuinely' suprised to see rust on the wheel arches of my car before I bought it. I pointed out the rust to the dealer who no doubt did the absolute minimum to hide the rust before I collected the car after sale. :(
It is only the start of the salt season, I'm sure the rust "will be back" like Arnold Swartsn . . . . Schwartsneg . . . Shwartsen . . . . That Hollywood actor!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom