CLK430 gearbox service

Rick430

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430
Hello, not sure if this has been discussed before but I couldn’t find anything about it.
So I’m gonna ask the question..........

I have a CLK430 and I’m about to get its serviced and I’m wondering if I should get the gearbox done at the same time?

I have no previous history of it being done before and being that it’s now 20 years old I’m thinking it probably would be a good idea.

So with all that said I found this and was thinking if this would be worth buying?

s-l400.jpg

Automatic Transmission Oil Change Kit MB Ssangyong:W639,W210,W211,W203,S203 4040074231326 | eBay
Transmission Type Automatic Transmission, 5-speed. Transmission Type W5A 900. Transmission Type W5A 580. Transmission Type W5A 380. Transmission Type W5A 330. Transmission Type 722.6. -suitable for vehicles with drain plug on transmission.
www.ebay.co.uk

I remember a few years ago I was talking to a guy who had a SLK320 and he was having his gearbox service done and at the same time he replaced the conductor plate. Is this something I should do at the same time along with the service?
thanks

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Mechanical and hydraulic systems live or die based on the quality of the circulating fluids.
I never buy cheap oils and always change ahead of requirements. Not ridiculously so but more often than 'in the book'.

If you don't know it's been changed then change it is my advice.

Changing the conductor plate would only be reasonable if you have or suspect issues as it is a few steps more than a simple oil change, so I wouldn't.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
For me I would get a good indie to do the gearbox service because with no records you do not know when it was last done, and check the codes on star, if no problems with the codes the electro plate will not need changing.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
By all means pay someone to do it , but a lot of people in here enjoy the work/challenge of doing stuff themselves . I say do your research if that’s you (and me) , there is plenty on YouTube and the diy section of the forum .
I have done my 5g and 7g twice now , the 5g is easy diy .
If the gearbox is working well I wouldn’t change the conductor plate yet ? What mileage are you on ?
Have a look at Fuchs oil for the atf (ATF 4134 , backwards compatible )

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
That kit looks well expensive to me

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Whenever I get a new, (S/H) Merc it is one of the first things I do. But I go the Sump Drain and fill method 3 times over a period of a few weeks. This on 722.6 Auto.
Each Drain is about 2.7lts and I measure what comes out and replace with the same amount of new Fluid followed by a check with a Dipstick, (bought off Ebay) when the Temp is 80*C (+/-).
On the last one after draining I remove the Sump, clean, then change the Filter and Seal. Replace Sump and then replace with fresh Fluid, (Fuchs Titan 4134 - it's a Factory Fill Fluid) of the measured quantity that was removed/drained.

There are other methods but I like this one because it was recommended to me.

OP
Rick430

Rick430

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430
Hello thanks for all your help and reply’s. My cars done 123000 miles and I took it out today and it was the first time since I got it. Never noticed this before but it seems hesitant when I accelerate also when I hit the kick down it’s very reluctant to change down then after a few seconds it eventually shifts down but the acceleration is very slow. Could this be the gearbox or something else? I’m yet to do the service yet and hoping changing all the filters, oil, v belt, tensioners plus the plugs it will be better. I’m just trying to think what is causing it as I’m sure it wasn’t doing it when I picked it up?

OP
Rick430

Rick430

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430
By all means pay someone to do it , but a lot of people in here enjoy the work/challenge of doing stuff themselves . I say do your research if that’s you (and me) , there is plenty on YouTube and the diy section of the forum .
I have done my 5g and 7g twice now , the 5g is easy diy .
If the gearbox is working well I wouldn’t change the conductor plate yet ? What mileage are you on ?
Have a look at Fuchs oil for the atf (ATF 4134 , backwards compatible )

hello, what do you think about this kit I found......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-MERC...-/273631658011?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom