CLS (W219) / E wiper mechanism - help please!

clk208

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d estate, red, real wood, distronic plus, W219 CLS 350 CGI black/black
Hi folks,

Jumped in the CLS earlier this evening after some basic de-icing. I thought I had cleared the screen externally with de icer but it seems the left wiper was still firmly frozen onto the screen.

I pressed the wash/wipe button and the driver's side wiper promptly did it's stuff but the passenger side remained worryingly planted to the screen. Freed it off but it seems to have gone limp and I can now move it manually by hand. It doesn't move at all when I operate the wipers. So I just have a drivers side wiper currently.

Completed my 30 mins motorway journey, car now parked at destination for half an hour, allowed heat to dissipate into it and passenger side wiper still showing no life.

Are there seperate motors for drivers/passenger side wipers? Or is it just a linkage - is there anything I can do to reattach the linkage/get it working again?! Some long trips to complete later this week :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think the linkage is damaged, could be a loose nut but I do not think so

index.php
i

OP
C

clk208

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm!

Very useful diagram - I will have a look with reference to this in daylight tomorrow.

Luckily still under Tier 1 approved used warranty so will get it booked in if nothing obvious. Hopefully it won't be a "wear and tear" item where I foot the bill!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the case of a sheared rivet, a nut and bolt will do if there is clearance.

Do not tell them it was frozen

OP
C

clk208

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the case of a sheared rivet, a nut and bolt will do if there is clearance.

Do not tell them it was frozen

Great - I'll see how accessible it all is. Good point on not mentioning the fozen bit if I go in.

Might not be a bad thing to get it in to MB eventually in any case, they can investigate a squeal from the front wheel and drop off in MPG.

I have a dealer within 1 mile from where I'm staying at the moment, albeit one that seems to get some bad press, and another 10 miles further down the road. I will see how the day pans out tomorrow!

Last edited:
OP
C

clk208

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to provide an update - the external nuts were loose on the passenger side arm but tightening had no effect, so the problem must be one of the nuts under the scuttle.

Decided it was best not to delve any further for fear of making the drivers side wiper also u/s. So booked into the earliest slot at a dealer, which is next Tuesday. Had to check half a dozen dealers to get this appointment too - most were saying end of next week or even Christmas eve!

Back to my vintage Volvo for a couple of days I think, it seems to be more of a winter car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to provide an update - the external nuts were loose on the passenger side arm but tightening had no effect, so the problem must be one of the nuts under the scuttle.

Decided it was best not to delve any further for fear of making the drivers side wiper also u/s. So booked into the earliest slot at a dealer, which is next Tuesday. Had to check half a dozen dealers to get this appointment too - most were saying end of next week or even Christmas eve!

Back to my vintage Volvo for a couple of days I think, it seems to be more of a winter car.

The sun is going to shine every day till they are fixed :D:D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom