Clunking noise on rear passenger side of w124 estate

Vincey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E200 Estate W124
I have a 1996 E200 estate W124 and for the last day or two there is a clunking/knocking noise when I take off. Would anyone have any ideas what would cause this. I have just recently replaced the rear struts and the accumerator spheres and now this problem has turned up. By the way i solved that problem from the help here - thanks to everyone brilliant forum. :)

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Drive shaft maybe

OP
V

Vincey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E200 Estate W124
The noise is only on the passenger side - would the driveshaft cause that and what do you suggest my next step should be - thanks

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
I'd look back at the work you did. Maybe a loose top mount (not likely, I know), loose bolts on the foot of the strut or air in the self-levelling system

I had a pair of spheres replaced and the suspension clunked for 3-4 days till the air was out of the system

If you fitted a secondhand leg, one thing to consider: I had one car which rode not quite as well as it should have. I had it checked and nothing was found but on a second visit we found that one leg would not extend smoothly but went in jerks. We replaced the leg and all was well

Always wise to check the leading rear subframe bushes as well

Nick Froome

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
I would second what has been said by Bolide!!!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom