Clunking noise

Rockhopper1

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a e320 cdi estate. I'm hoping you can help.

When i turn my steering wheel lock to lock there is a loud clunking noise from the left hand side of the car. It is getting worse since i've noticed it. Driving normally there are no rattle or clunking noise and everything is smooth. I have noticed no difference in my steering and there aren't any other strange noises.

The clunking noise is extremely noticable and is loud

Please help

Thanks

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
If a W210, the spring mount about to fall off?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This does sound like the lower swivel ball joint,,please do it sooner than later,, you should be able to check it with the car jacked,, it could be a track rod end and jacking the car on the nearside would allow you to swing the wheel to check for any free play

OP
R

Rockhopper1

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I jacked the car up on axle stands but there doesnt seem to be any movement. Could it be something else or is it that the lower ball joint is at early stages of failing and is under to much pressure to see that its worn.

Thanks again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your comments. I jacked the car up on axle stands but there doesnt seem to be any movement. Could it be something else or is it that the lower ball joint is at early stages of failing and is under to much pressure to see that its worn.

Thanks again

This is often the case, and Bolide put this point up recently, they can fill with rust, and then fail and the wheel goes out sideways

OP
R

Rockhopper1

Reaction score
Thanks television. I'm going to replace this asap as i doubt its a dear item and would rather be safe than sorry.

OP
R

Rockhopper1

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll let you know how i get on

OP
R

Rockhopper1

Reaction score
Big thanks to television for his help and advice. I've replaced the lower ball joint today and all is well again

Thanks Sam

OP
R

Rockhopper1

Reaction score
would changing a lower ball joint alter the tracking. i never disconnected the track rod end but now my steering wheel has to sit slightly squint to drive in a straight line. I did get my tracking done about 3 months ago.Is it worthwhile changing both at the same time rather than only 1 side?

Thanks Sam

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes the tracking can be out after changing a ball joint,,it is worth changing both as the other one will not be far behind.

When you think that the joints can wear to the point where they fall apart, the wear must be considerable

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom