COMAND-APS NTG3 on CL500 2007

project1013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2007
Hello,

I have had my car for over 13 months and Comand is having intermittent problems... No sound and then sound. slowness, then ok.
Having read other posts, I understand I could have a problem somewhere in fibre loop or maybe a faulty Audio gateway and my hi-fi upgrader (Bit Ten D controller and Audison amp & speakers) has the skills to be able to do this.

However, it would really help if someone could advise on what parts and connections make up the system in this car and where they are located.

Regards

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The telephone modules and phones can cause muting of the sound, nothing to do with the Most ring, could be the audio gateway, STAR may be able to pin point the fault

OP
P

project1013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2007
It's not a muting thing. I start the car, drive the car for an hour with no sound and slow responding comand and then suddenly I get sound and comand is back to it's normal speed when selecting items. Then it's good until I turn off the car and then I am back to silence and a very slow command. From another post of yours, all the faults seem to be with the functions that are controlled by the Audio Gateway. Do you know if there is a network diagram available ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will have a look for a network diagram, you could post this on the MB guru site.

OP
P

project1013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2007
Thx TV, I've done a search but can't find how to reach the MB Guru site. Could you advise pls.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
i wouldn't rule out a software bug in the head unit, may be worth getting it on STAR or in to someone who can switch out the unit just to rule out any problems there.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
seems odd how the system will be slow for the first hour and then be working fine, to me it would point to a message flow error somewhere in the line rather than a hardware fault as such?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
seems odd how the system will be slow for the first hour and then be working fine, to me it would point to a message flow error somewhere in the line rather than a hardware fault as such?

Certainly an odd fault and a first on here.

OP
P

project1013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2007
Hello,

Update : My stereo upgrade fitters checked out the car today. The "Head unit" sits inside the boot, to the left, behind the trim. Looks like it is both the amp and the 'gateway' in one unit. It's failing to output any sound to the speakers, failing to work as a radio (this can be seen on the screen as no radio channels) and not managing the PCMCIA card (frozen) nor the DVD changer ("no CD/DVD" but it is getting optical-in down the fiber from the screen/pcmcia and DVD changer inside the car.
Navigation on the screen is working fine (sometimes a bit slow).

I have booked it into 'my' Indie to have it checked in Stars. Maybe a power down and software reload will do the trick or maybe it needs a repair. I'll keep you posted.

Rod

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So sorry nothing much to offer on this, STAR hopefully will give a clue.

OP
P

project1013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2007
Hello Again,
Firstly I took it to my Car Hi-Fi shop and he tested the flow of the optical circuit, all looks fine.
I took it to my Indi to test it. He found a documented fault report that looked like my issue inferring a s/w upgrade would fix it. Advised me to go to a Merc Dealer as he couldn't do that.
Went to Merc who advised no s/w upgrade available but did find a fault on STAR that they cleared. When I picked up the car, I made the guy come to the car to see if the issue was fixed and no, exactly the same.
He told me he'd have to log a call with Mercedes as they had no clue.
On Jan 31st, one month after I first took it to Merc I called again. Still no feedback. I will be calling them soon or going to another dealer.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What a sad state of affairs, this fault could just as well be in the pre amp up front or in the main unit in the boot that contains the power amp.

Why cannot Mercedes central keep one of each to allow dealers to have one on loan so that the unit can be swapped over to test with.

Things will get worse in this respect, to sell a £100k car and not be able to fix it is just not on.

OP
P

project1013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2007
I can hear the main unit trying it's best to start up (then shut off again) but as you say, it might be the pre-amp at the front end not sending a consistent signal. I have got a Warranty, I might just ask them to replace both parts.

OP
P

project1013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2007
Hello Mr Television !, I had to remind myself when I last posted on this. I heard nothing from Merc about my issue so I called them once in Feb and then again in April. For the April call, I expressed my disappointment to the person I spoke to and she said, let me get back to you. About 20 minutes later, the lady told me the Service manager had asked to have the car for two days and they would provide a courtesy car and were very sorry etc. Amazing huh ? Anyway, it was if my car had heard the phone call because the following week, the stereo worked all week. There was one small blip after that, where I had to restart the car to get it to work and the stereo has been working now for 3 weeks without fail. Weird eh ? I have touched nothing and not jolted the car at all. I have read about mobile phones sending a high voltage round the system and upsetting the ring. Maybe it's taken that long to discharge. It might have been fixed by completely powering down the car but I didn't want to lose my window settings. Cars are so strange. Regards

OP
P

project1013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2007
Hello, After suffering an intermittent COMAND issue for almost 4 years on sound output(it's not as bad as it sounds as I have a professional upgrade (Source Sounds) with ipod interface so I can listen to music), I had my car into my indi (S.P.R Autos) for an aircon re-gas. I told him about the COMAND with no sound and he'd just had an S class in with the same issue and he installed a refurbished amp from Merc and bingo - all fixed. So, I've had mine done and it burst into life. When you get a referbed one, Merc need you to send your old one back. It's not a difficult job as the amp is located in the back nearside of the boot and is plug n play (or not play in my case).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is a firm in Soffia that repairs them for £225, much cheaper than a Mercedes exchange unit, they give a 2 year guarantee as well.

I had mine repaired.

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
Hello Again,
Firstly I took it to my Car Hi-Fi shop and he tested the flow of the optical circuit, all looks fine.
I took it to my Indi to test it. He found a documented fault report that looked like my issue inferring a s/w upgrade would fix it. Advised me to go to a Merc Dealer as he couldn't do that.
Went to Merc who advised no s/w upgrade available but did find a fault on STAR that they cleared. When I picked up the car, I made the guy come to the car to see if the issue was fixed and no, exactly the same.
He told me he'd have to log a call with Mercedes as they had no clue.
On Jan 31st, one month after I first took it to Merc I called again. Still no feedback. I will be calling them soon or going to another dealer.

Yup. MB Muppets as always.

One my friends w221 S500 2008 had the same problem. He went to MB and nothing. After telematics upgrade and new maps all was fine.
Hows your latest map update? OEM or copy?

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom