COMAND problem

shadowninja

Reaction score
I mentioned before how it says "no CD autochanger" when there is power to the unit (I can put in and remove the cartridge). I took it to Mercedes Epsom today and they said that there is a fault in the unit in the dashboard and their only suggestion was to replace the entire unit (£3k quote). They did try the system with a new changer but that didn't prove to be successful.

Anyone recommend a clued up ICE business in Surrey?

Thanks.

-Darren

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I would have thought this would be an Alfie special. I've not seen him for awhile.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi darren, I do not think that alfie does this type of thing,but he does recomend some one on the South Coast I believe.

Some one posted back a few weeks back to say that they got theirs fixed in or around the london area and were very pleased with the price.

Blobcat is better finding these things than me, you could also Google seach Command repairs UK, several will come up.

Welcome to my 10.000 post. Malcolm

OP
shadowninja

shadowninja

Reaction score
congrats, malcolm!

I have noted down that company in East Sheen (on another thread I think) and will call them tomorrow as they mentioned Comand on their website. Also something about how even if Mercedes say it's impossible, they can still do it.

I wonder if they will sell me the moon on a stick. :D

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I mentioned before how it says "no CD autochanger" when there is power to the unit (I can put in and remove the cartridge). I took it to Mercedes Epsom today and they said that there is a fault in the unit in the dashboard and their only suggestion was to replace the entire unit (£3k quote). They did try the system with a new changer but that didn't prove to be successful.

Anyone recommend a clued up ICE business in Surrey?

Thanks.

-Darren

Hello!

Been busy for a while.

I am assuming here that you have a pre - MOST car (D2B)

If you have power to the unit then the problem is one of two things;

1). The wake up signal is not getting through from the COMAND. This is on pin 10 of the C2 connector on the back of the comand. or;

2). There is a fault on the D2B fibre bus. Most often this is a cable having fallen out of the unit!

You will need to take the comand out and check these on the back. I've seen this fault a few times before and each time it has been a loose cable!

OP
shadowninja

shadowninja

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the reply. The dealer said the autoelectrician had checked that but maybe I should ask again!

-Darren

OP
shadowninja

shadowninja

Reaction score
Met Alfie today. Just like to thank him for his help in identifying the problem. He is certainly very knowledgeable in all things COMAND! I look forward to scaring him in the CLK some time. :twisted:

OP
shadowninja

shadowninja

Reaction score
boohoo. still not working. :(

to summarise, a new autochanger doesn't make a difference, a new headunit doesn't make a difference, the wires were tested today and were fine. is it the flux capacitor?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
boohoo. still not working. :(

to summarise, a new autochanger doesn't make a difference, a new headunit doesn't make a difference, the wires were tested today and were fine. is it the flux capacitor?

I spoke to your auto electrician and he was going to try a serparate cable for the wakeup signal. Did he do this?

what was the other wire connected to that was spliced into the wakeup signal?

OP
shadowninja

shadowninja

Reaction score
Yes, he tried it, to no avail. He said that a signal was passing through the cable. Thanks for speaking to him. I know I still owe you a ride in the car. :)

I can't remember what the other wire was.

BarryG

Reaction score
:rolleyes: I dont think it's your Flux Capacitor:rolleyes:

Flux Capacitors are also responsible for every space related accident, from the Apollo XIII to the Challenger and Columbia shuttles disasters. However, scientists have yet to create spaceships without flux capacitors, because without the flux capacitor, something else would inevitably fail. The issue in each "accident" is obviously that the victims were not morally, physically and academically strong enough to muddle through the ethical issue that arose around the time of the Flux problem.

At least with Flux Capacitors you know that there is the problem. The down side is that knowing what the problem is does not solve the moral dilemma faced.

This is what happens when they do go wrong:D Pretty sure it only happens on DeLoreans though:rolleyes:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/22/the-ill-effects-of-an-overheating-flux-capacitor/

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Yes, he tried it, to no avail. He said that a signal was passing through the cable. Thanks for speaking to him. I know I still owe you a ride in the car. :)

I can't remember what the other wire was.

There was/is a wire that appears to have been spliced into your wakeup signal cable. This had insulating tape around it, indicating its not original!
This could be draining the signal down or putting unwanted current on the cable. I would suggest this is disconnected and then tried again.

OP
shadowninja

shadowninja

Reaction score
There was/is a wire that appears to have been spliced into your wakeup signal cable. This had insulating tape around it, indicating its not original!
This could be draining the signal down or putting unwanted current on the cable. I would suggest this is disconnected and then tried again.

just spoke to him. he said he did try this but it didn't make a difference. any other thoughts?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
just spoke to him. he said he did try this but it didn't make a difference. any other thoughts?

Well, we've tried a different CD changer, different COMAND unit and cable by pass. All that can be left is the actual connector plugs either at the comand end or the CD changer end.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom