Command NTG2 weird problem

Alpha_Papa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320/2004/3.2L
Hi All,

First time MB owner so a bit frustrated with a few issues with (my) new 2004, 54 Reg CLK 320 (A209), acquired last week from a used car dealer.

As a Lifelong BMW owner I am quite used to some of the niggles related to electrics in German cars but this one has me flummoxed.

Apart from the SRS light remaining on (the dealer said he will replace the Passenger seat pad so not worried), the Steering wheel up/down adjuster seems kaput. Not sure if he will fix this but what really has me worried is the Command NTG2.

It was working fine till the last few minutes of a 4 hour Journey. The CD in the changer started skipping and I thought it may be a problem with the Disk itself so switched to Radio. It was in Nav mode at that time and everything seemed to be working fine. However, a few minutes later the radio started skipping as well. Basically, the sound cut off every few seconds for a 1 second pause and then a 2-3 second pause. This went on for a while until I parked the car and ignored the problem thinking it may be a transmission problem.

The following day after starting the car, the SatNav map refused to load and the radio continued skipping as before. The Satnav then went into an infinite loop where it said "Starting Navigation" and stayed in that mode for about 15 mins. I ejected the disk and re-inserted it and it then went into a "update" mode. the radio continued skipping in the background.

I tried the other sources like the CD changer and inserted an audio CD in the DVD slot and got the same result, i.e. skip for 1 second, play for few seconds and then skip for another 2-3 seconds. I also noticed that after each skip the screen refreshed itself (almost imperceptible) and reverted to the main menu if it was in any other menu.

It's all quite baffling and I can't seem to figure it out. I assumed at first it was a problem with the DVD lens and inserted a cd cleaning disk (the one with a tiny brush attached to the disk) but to no avail.

An uneducated guess is that the Satnav is not working as it is trying to read the disk but cannot do so as the system is resetting itself, albeit for a micro second.

I have recorded a couple of videos which hopefully will clarify all of the above and I will post them later after uploading them on youtube (on the assumption that I cannot embed them on this thread).

Any help from anyone on here who has experienced this or can even hazzard a guess will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
AP

Comand

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63, SL55, A150, X5, Raptor, ZX10, ZRX1100, Mini, RD350B, RD250B
Hi All,

First time MB owner so a bit frustrated with a few issues with (my) new 2004, 54 Reg CLK 320 (A209), acquired last week from a used car dealer.

As a Lifelong BMW owner I am quite used to some of the niggles related to electrics in German cars but this one has me flummoxed.

Apart from the SRS light remaining on (the dealer said he will replace the Passenger seat pad so not worried), the Steering wheel up/down adjuster seems kaput. Not sure if he will fix this but what really has me worried is the Command NTG2.

It was working fine till the last few minutes of a 4 hour Journey. The CD in the changer started skipping and I thought it may be a problem with the Disk itself so switched to Radio. It was in Nav mode at that time and everything seemed to be working fine. However, a few minutes later the radio started skipping as well. Basically, the sound cut off every few seconds for a 1 second pause and then a 2-3 second pause. This went on for a while until I parked the car and ignored the problem thinking it may be a transmission problem.

The following day after starting the car, the SatNav map refused to load and the radio continued skipping as before. The Satnav then went into an infinite loop where it said "Starting Navigation" and stayed in that mode for about 15 mins. I ejected the disk and re-inserted it and it then went into a "update" mode. the radio continued skipping in the background.

I tried the other sources like the CD changer and inserted an audio CD in the DVD slot and got the same result, i.e. skip for 1 second, play for few seconds and then skip for another 2-3 seconds. I also noticed that after each skip the screen refreshed itself (almost imperceptible) and reverted to the main menu if it was in any other menu.

It's all quite baffling and I can't seem to figure it out. I assumed at first it was a problem with the DVD lens and inserted a cd cleaning disk (the one with a tiny brush attached to the disk) but to no avail.

An uneducated guess is that the Satnav is not working as it is trying to read the disk but cannot do so as the system is resetting itself, albeit for a micro second.

I have recorded a couple of videos which hopefully will clarify all of the above and I will post them later after uploading them on youtube (on the assumption that I cannot embed them on this thread).

Any help from anyone on here who has experienced this or can even hazzard a guess will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
AP

As you bought it from a dealer you should take the car back and tell them it is faulty and you want it replaced or repaired. From what you have described it sounds like a power supply issue in the comand or a problem with the HK amp (if you have one). In either event you should notify the supplying dealer asap and tell them it needs to be fixed.

OP
A

Alpha_Papa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320/2004/3.2L
Thanks for your response. Yes It does have an HK amp so will probably have to go back to the dealer, although I am not sure if he will be willing to rectify the fault consider their reputation :(

Comand

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63, SL55, A150, X5, Raptor, ZX10, ZRX1100, Mini, RD350B, RD250B
Thanks for your response. Yes It does have an HK amp so will probably have to go back to the dealer, although I am not sure if he will be willing to rectify the fault consider their reputation :(

If you purchased it from a dealer then you should have at least got a 3 month warranty if not more.

Simply stand your ground and tell them you want it fixed under the warranty otherwise you want to 'back' the car. Mention trading standards aswell. It is your right to have these things rectified.

OP
A

Alpha_Papa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320/2004/3.2L
I did go back to the dealer and guess what....sod's law ensured that the Sat Nav, Radio and CD worked perfectly and has been working like normal since. :Oops:

Keeping a close eye on it but not complaining.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom