Connecting iphone with E350 CDI W212

robert_winter_1000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB E350 CDI (W212)
Trying to connect my iphone6 with my car (E350 CDI, W212) but it didn't work. Neither the car recognises the iphone nor the iphone recognise the car. The Bluetooth of the iphone is on and can be recognised by eg. Tomtom 6200 and Jabra hands free set. Do I need an adapter for this?

Kind regards,

Robert

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have a W212 E350CDI 2011. Never had a problem connecting my iPhone 4, 5, & currently 6.
As your iPhone will connect elsewhere the problem would appear to be the car end.
Try connecting something else to the cars bluetooth.

OP
R

robert_winter_1000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB E350 CDI (W212)
I have a W212 E350CDI 2011. Never had a problem connecting my iPhone 4, 5, & currently 6.
As your iPhone will connect elsewhere the problem would appear to be the car end.
Try connecting something else to the cars bluetooth.

Yes, I think the problem in the car. Do you have an adapter between the car and the iphone?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I don't know the age of the vehicle, but I can think of two issues

1) pre 2012 many Bluetooth systems had some random concoction of standards and later phones didn't cope. After some ratification many systems had updates mid to late 2012. Thus I can imagine if the car's software didn't get updated it might not help

2) which iOS are you running? do you ever apply updates. As I have posted before, ANY early iteration of Apple iOS usually struggles to work with Bluetooth because Apple refuse to follow the standards and write random garbage instead of quality software

its been like this since iOS 5 and still continues to this day
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2019/09/fix-ios-13-bluetooth-not-working-iphone-issues.html
https://www.redmondpie.com/fix-ios-...ermission-issues-on-iphone-or-ipad-heres-how/

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
No, no adaptor.
Originally I used the plug in connector in the glove box, but it was for the wide iPhone connector on the iPhone 4's.
When i got my iPhone 5 with the narrower connection I bought an adaptor. But the connection kept separating, so I went to Bluetooth.

OP
R

robert_winter_1000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB E350 CDI (W212)
The car is from 2011 and the ios is the last one, just update the iphone 2 weeks ago!

BTW, the iphone has connection with TomTom 6200 and Jebra hands free set via Bluetooth without any problem!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Sounds like a "PM your VIN to comand.co.uk" so they can look up the build spec of your car then advise what you need! My car has Comand NTG4 and bluetooth connected to my iPhone 4, wife's iPhone 5, then wife's HTC One and now our Samsung Galaxy A10's without problem - but what ICE system does your car have? Comand.co.uk will know from the VIN and will be able to tell you what you need.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
6S and newer get offered iOS13 that's already on the THIRD release in 2 weeks (new one this morning 13.1.1, 4 days after 13.1) !!!

by the time 13.2 is out should be safe to get your BM or Merc to communicate adequately over Bluetooth,

might well be the case other devices cope with iOS as they may have added patches, fixes and workarounds to cope with the fact Apple don't know what they are doing... but BM and Merc don't do that and in many cases its running a system that's never been updated to current "good" practice

Last edited:
OP
R

robert_winter_1000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB E350 CDI (W212)
6S and newer get offered iOS13 that's already on the THIRD release in 2 weeks (new one this morning 13.1.1, 4 days after 13.1) !!!

by the time 13.2 is out should be safe to get your BM or Merc to communicate adequately over Bluetooth,

might well be the case other devices cope with iOS as they may have added patches, fixes and workarounds to cope with the fact Apple don't know what they are doing... but BM and Merc don't do that and in many cases its running a system that's never been updated to current "good" practice

Thanks for your answer. What do you suggest to do?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)

I’ve never had a problem using my Apple devices in either of my Mercedes

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I’ve never had a problem using my Apple devices in either of my Mercedes

I have an apple phone and it connects to mine fault free, that's not the point I'm making. the original post is a bloke with an apple that connects to some stuff but refuses to play ball on his Merc.

This is a very normal situation (check google) you'll find Merc and BM owners going mad spanning more than 8 years, it occurs EVERY time a new iOS is released (because Apple write dodgy software). They then bodge about over 3 to 4 releases within the first 4 weeks of roll out, putting back in all the fixes they are adamant you shouldn't need. The error lies NOT with Mercedes or BMW but with Apple

No one is saying it will play up indefinitely... And no one is saying you may personally have been affected. If you have a car of x age and a phone of y type with z operating system and make / receive few calls, the bugs might have been resolved before you ever noticed it wasn't quite right.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Thanks for your answer. What do you suggest to do?

it would be very interesting if you can confirm which iOS you have on your phone.

Settings
General
Software update

if its on anything iOS xx.0 or iOS xx.1, I wouldn't be surprised it plays up,
if iOS xx.3 or higher it should work

If on 12 make sure it on 12.4.1 came out about 21 Sept 2019
If you went to 13 you can't go back, so try the version that came out Saturday morning 13.1.1 (that's the third release of iOS 13 which came out around 19 Sept 2019, they pretend it was Fri 27 Sept, but it wasn't there I checked before I went to bed), then delete any listing of the car on the phone and of the car to the phone, reboot the phone and re-pair from scratch

Last edited:
OP
R

robert_winter_1000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB E350 CDI (W212)
Many thanks for your effort. The iphone has IOS 13.1.1. today tried to paired the Huwei smartphone of my wife with the car but it didn't work. The Huwei could recognise the Tomtom 6200 as bluetooth device, as well as the Jabra Hands free set but not the car! I think the problem is in the car and not in the smartphones. Is it possible that the car needs software update?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Many thanks for your effort. The iphone has IOS 13.1.1. today tried to paired the Huwei smartphone of my wife with the car but it didn't work. The Huwei could recognise the Tomtom 6200 as bluetooth device, as well as the Jabra Hands free set but not the car! I think the problem is in the car and not in the smartphones. Is it possible that the car needs software update?

could be somethings broken, have you ever had a phone connected?
can you get an old boring phone that didn't do anything interesting (pre SMART phone) and see if it will connect?

if that does and you are following the correct procedure and starting from scratch, depending on the vehicle's age could well be that the world moved on and a software update on the car could help, how old is the car? what system does it have Comand?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
out of interest which way are you trying to pair?

on a Ford Focus I fitted Bluetooth to, using the voice, USB and music streaming compatible module from 2009 to 2012, when I fitted it (secondhand unit) I had no idea what software it was on.

Originally to pair I did it the "old way" Having my phones Bluetooth on, in the car radio I went to phone, settings, search for new devices and it popped up with it can see an iPhone and the phone asked for a code etc. all good

I then updated it to the last Ford software update from Nov 2012 and the pairing now works the opposite way around. You can not find any menus in the car to look for other devices. Now, you ensure the Bluetooth on the car is On, then ONLY using the phone look for a Ford radio and pair (in a method I would say is now back to front).

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom