Convert

Cookie Jar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 5.5
Hello!

Recent convert to MB, here. I confess to coming over from the dark side, having learned the error of my ways with a BMW 3 series, a long and unpleasant relationship, (bordering on the abusive) that I'd rather not relive just yet.
I'm hoping to meet knowledgable owners who might be kind enough to guide me in the search for my perfect CL500 (I flirted briefly with the idea of a CL63 AMG, but the headbolt issue makes my posterior more than a tad squeaky). With a budget of around £15k, I'm currently, impatiently, biding my time until the right one comes along. At the moment I've pretty much decided on the 4.7 Bi-Turbo model, but I'm willing to take advice on that, having previously preferred the 5.5 NA due to the absence of turbos (a wee hint of the tortuous past I endured with the beemer there!), but I'll assume they're more bombproof than the Mitsubishi units that were bizarelly rammed into the 4 pot 3 series.
Anyway... hi! :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome, CL will be a great choice but don’t dismiss the 63, the M156 headbolt issue was quite known but quite exaggerated too...help and advice is available !
That said the bi turbo is a peach....budget, year etc?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

OP
Cookie Jar

Cookie Jar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 5.5
Welcome, CL will be a great choice but don’t dismiss the 63, the M156 headbolt issue was quite known but quite exaggerated too...help and advice is available !
That said the bi turbo is a peach....budget, year etc?
Thanks, John.
I'm hoping I can pick up a decent early facelift example, say 2011, with the spec I'm keen on for somewhere in the ballpark of £15k. I'm a fussy bugger, though and I've gone and fell for the rarer dark grey paint scheme, with dark grey or black leather/black ash interior. Black is good too, just a nightmare to keep looking shiny. What's everyone's thoughts on silver? The wife and kids aren't fans, but personally I think the CL's lines lend themselves to silver. Not too fussed by night view but everything else would be nice to have, and even though it would be mostly redundant in Scotland, cooling seats would be pretty cool too (pun only partly unintentional). I know I'll need to bide my time, and travel for the right one. With regards to the CL63, I plan to look again in a couple of years for a later example, with a post-issue engine, once they come down a bit more in price, and my budget increases.

OP
Cookie Jar

Cookie Jar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 5.5
Hello and welcome to the madhouse! By the way the stalky thing just underneath the left hand side of the steering wheel on mercs is the indicator arm :rolleyes:
Never gets old! ;)
That reminds though, at school in the early 90's, I was doing work experience at an electronics shop's repair centre, I would sometimes go out with service engineers to fix issues with the equipment. It was an interesting week. One old fella had called to complain about the midi sound system he'd bought or hired, and when we got there he told us the problem was with the cup holder. You've probably already guessed he was referring to the CD drawer. It sounds made up, but I kid you not. Being a young teenager, I thought this was hilarious, and got a proper row from the engineer on the way back to the workshop.
Thanks for the welcome David. :D

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome Cookie Jar (mmmmmm biscuits :D) . I’m forever looking at CL500’s on Autotrader , such a great looking car .
Are you up to date on ABC suspension issues and the costs involved . More to be aware that it may be worth keeping a couple of thousand quid below your budget for any unexpected failures ?
I did read a thread on here about a turbo failure on someone’s CL500 facelift , I’m sure the MB cost quoted was £8k:eek: . Not sure what mileage the car was or if there were contributing factors . That is also the only turbo issue I’ve read about on here , so put is aside as a forum horror story .
Interested to hear what car you choose in the end , exciting stuff . Silver is a non exciting colour but still shines up really well .

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks, John.
I'm hoping I can pick up a decent early facelift example, say 2011, with the spec I'm keen on for somewhere in the ballpark of £15k. I'm a fussy bugger, though and I've gone and fell for the rarer dark grey paint scheme, with dark grey or black leather/black ash interior. Black is good too, just a nightmare to keep looking shiny. What's everyone's thoughts on silver? The wife and kids aren't fans, but personally I think the CL's lines lend themselves to silver. Not too fussed by night view but everything else would be nice to have, and even though it would be mostly redundant in Scotland, cooling seats would be pretty cool too (pun only partly unintentional). I know I'll need to bide my time, and travel for the right one. With regards to the CL63, I plan to look again in a couple of years for a later example, with a post-issue engine, once they come down a bit more in price, and my budget increases.
No worries David. Which part of the old country are you in?
Selenite or Palladium would my own personal preferences, those are the darker greys/silvers - cavansite blue is stunning too, Iridium silver (the lighter one) not so much for me.
Obsidian black is stunning when clean (I’ve had 3) but the rub is indeed keeping them that way.
Heated seats will be standard, cooling less so but then a lot of original owners option these with other things quite highly....
Good luck, I probably can’t resist having a bit of a search so if i see anything...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'm Spartacus! I think the David is me not Cookie Jar who remains anonymous so far... confused yet?
Haha! You are Spartacus indeed- thought he was signing off with David not referring to...if that makes any sense at all! :rolleyes:

OP
Cookie Jar

Cookie Jar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 5.5
Indeed :D
Yup, I'm a Graeme, not a David, as David has pointed out. ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom