Coolant Change

Red

Reaction score
W124 - 1995 - E220 Petrol - 60,000 miles

I cannot find the engine block drain plug. I have removed the under-engine plastic tray.

Can I do this job well enough by removing the bottom hose from the radiator.

Would removing the thermostat housing and flushing the block from there with a hosepipe be a good idea.

Any advice most welcome, thanks,
Red

jonathanjhann

Reaction score
with the plastic undertray removed you should see at the bottom of the radiator a slotted plug. turn that and youwill drain the coolant.

turnipsock

Reaction score
You can get stuff to flush out the cooling system.

I would also do a reverse flush on the system, if you can, that is putting the hose in at the bottom.

It might be worth taking the thermostat housing off, it's not a big job.

MW

Reaction score
I've never found the engine drain plug as removing it will probably cause problems. The radiator drain plug and bottom hose are fine. When refitting grease with copper grease for next time, and do not overtighten, its only red plastic. If the car is on its first drain with you, removing the thermostat is a good idea. Grease the studs with copper grease for next time! Backflush the radiator too. Set the heater to hot. Halfords do their top of the range anti-freeze for about £15 for 5 litres. Its very good. Do a 50% mix and you will have nearly a litre for topping up. Whole job takes an hour + if done properly.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom