Cooling Fan on the W210 E220

tamrsoft

Reaction score
I have the E220 Cdi (2001 model) which has a single electric cooling fan mounted behind the engine and A/C radiators. I understand that this should cut in at engine temps of around 100 deg.C but should run continuously when the A/C is turned on. Can anyone confirm on this ?

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
tamrsoft said:
I have the E220 Cdi (2001 model) which has a single electric cooling fan mounted behind the engine and A/C radiators. I understand that this should cut in at engine temps of around 100 deg.C but should run continuously when the A/C is turned on. Can anyone confirm on this ?

My cooling fan runs continuously when the a/c is on but recently it stopped working accompanied by the coolant light coming on randomly......it turned out to be the fan control unit u/s (on my ml, 2002, this is a alloy box built into the fan housing) and retails at around £600!!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
tamrsoft said:

No, not as far as I know. The aircon on my E240 was always on, as is the aircon on my E270 and I don't think I have ever seen or heard the cooling fan running.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
The fan needs to run to keep air flowing through the a/c condensor radiator

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The fan will only come on when needed, either from air con, or temperture.
It does not come on, just because air con is on, when the ambiant temp gets higher (if ever) then it will run more.

Malcolm

OP
T

tamrsoft

Reaction score
Just a follow-up note on my initial question. When the A/C is running, the electric cooling fan switches on and switches off when the A/C is turned off. I guess this makes sense since the A/C would not work properly unless sufficient cooling air was passed through the condensing radiator to cool down the hot compressed refrigerant. I have not checked whether it also turns on when the engine temperature reaches an upper level since it rarely gets to 80 deg.C or above (faulty thermostat maybe).

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom