Cops & Lorries

OP
Hibbo

Hibbo

Reaction score
A neighbour at our old house lost a brand new Landcruiser like that. Never got it back. Bought red diesel off a "bloke down the pub".

John

Obviously avoiding fuel duty is illegal and those that do it should be punished, but the powers that HMRC have seem almost obscene. Especially in this day and age of human rights etc. Although I do think the tables are slowly starting to turn, I'm sure I read recently about booze and baccy cruisers successfully suing customs after having their vehicles confiscated.

If you're a rapist you've plenty of rights but a drop of cherry in your tank and they can do what they like.

OP
Hibbo

Hibbo

Reaction score
Come on then David, are you going to give us any more info on VOSA's powers to stop vehicles?...

slim_boy_fat

Reaction score
A neighbour at our old house lost a brand new Landcruiser like that. Never got it back. Bought red diesel off a "bloke down the pub".

John

Sorry i find that hard to believe.

Unless the guy had been caught using 'cherry' for the 5th time.

Usually its a fairly hefty fine, £500 or so......

I was stopped in a check down in D&G a couple of years ago, lets just say the sun was shinning on me that day and i wasnt dipped. ;)

Never again......

OP
Hibbo

Hibbo

Reaction score
Purely out of interest, does anyone know exactly what they test for when they dip your tank?
Do they specifically look to see if you've got tax paid derv in there, and if NOT bang!
Or do they specifically look for red?

What I'm (out of interest) getting at is would they be onto you for having something else in the tank (not derv or red)?

;)

slim_boy_fat

Reaction score
Purely out of interest, does anyone know exactly what they test for when they dip your tank?
Do they specifically look to see if you've got tax paid derv in there, and if NOT bang!
Or do they specifically look for red?

What I'm (out of interest) getting at is would they be onto you for having something else in the tank (not derv or red)?

;)

They can test for all types for fuel, not just cherry, which is kind of obvious. But they will be able to tell if you are using veg oil or its derivatives.

bibamus

Reaction score
VOSA usually work in conjunction with the Police to stop vehicles. Heres what they say they do.
<The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) has always provided a major supportive role in these roadside targeted operations. They involve specific targeted checks on lorries and vans, buses and coaches, International Hauliers, school buses and other classes of vehicle.

Although these checks form a relatively small proportion of our work they have the merit of being high profile and support the message that together VOSA and the Police work toward dealing with those who break the law. Special Operations also contribute to the maintenance and improvement of road safety and environmental protection by the enforcement of relevant legislation.>

Obviously, the vast majority of people stopped and all MB forum members drive their vehicles well within the law, but, unfortunately, there are those who do not !! 38 tonnes of metal can cause an awful lot of damage if anything goes seriously wrong!

In my former life, pre VOSA, we carried out a half day roadside check at the NEC site at Birmingham, pulling in HGV`s from M6 and M42.

At least half a dozen vehicles were in such a dangerous condition, they were issued Prohibition notices on the spot. One vehicle had wheel bearings so badly worn on its fully loaded ( with steel rsj`s) trailer, I could rock two of its wheels at least 6 inches side to side.
A transit van had a steel cage full of containers of acid. The cage was not secured to the floor, the driver had no paperwork for the load and no idea what to do in an emergency.
2 Drivers were found to have no HGV driving licences, many were found to have altered tacho sheets or no rest breaks shown or excessive hours worked = drivers putting everybody elses lives at risk on the road.

Of course, its not just the drivers that get pulled up. A few unscrupulous operators give their drivers a timetable that is impossible to keep to without breaking the law. These cases are investigated so that operators are forced to care about the welfare of its staff.
Most operators and drivers are very safety conscious, but there was only one company, in my experience that very rarely got stopped.
Eddie Stobart.
If everybody took a leaf out of their book, VOSA wouldnt need to carry out roadside checks.
Until that happens, your going to get stopped now and again.

Allan

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
Come on then David, are you going to give us any more info on VOSA's powers to stop vehicles?...

HE HE well as a BIG TRUCK driver these guys are one down from GOD!!! if not actually equal :rolleyes: So far be it for me to get on their wrong side. As to employers setting mission impossible well i for one have never had a problem saying that is not possible or totally illegal and i am not doing that. BUT then i only drive an HGV for fun when i get bored so i dont have to rely on this as a first/only source of income so its easy for me to reject unsafe or illegal vehicles as well as illegal trips - others may not be that brave or have that option.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom