cost of winter/summer wheel swap

Dmilne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220cdi premium plus estate
Just had my summer tyres put back on and for the first time Mercedes Aberdeen charged me £62 for the privilege. Up until now I had paid £60 per annum for storage and the wheels were swapped twice a year. This was a good deal. At £184 this is not quite so good.
Just wondering what other dealerships charged?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The exercise is good for you :rolleyes:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
About £20 for the storage stand by our back door (now in its 4th year, so £5pa so far and reducing), and about an hour on my driveway with a hydraulic jack, wheel brace and torque wrench.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I'm with Chris on this... Although will have to buy a 2nd set of alloys first.

Had my winter tyres put on in Nov and got a chunk taken out of one alloy.

Put the summers back on last month and got two more damaged alloys, both with a nice impression of the tyre press!

Fortunately, they are in need of a refurb as Mercedes Exeter refurbed them in May when I bought the car...

Last edited:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
That's why I bought a full set of wheels rather than the additional tyres I was offered - my car was on winters when I saw it, but MB Ashford replaced those with the owner's summer tyres before I took delivery - and offered me the winters for £150 (payable to previous owner).

Bide your time on eBay and you'll get lucky - but know EXACTLY the spec of the wheels you can buy. Interestingly, my S204 Elegance has standard 7J 16's with 205/55 tyresfor summer, but for winter I bought a set of 7 1/2J 16's with 225/50 winter tyres fitted, on rims that were an optional cost extra on the car - for not a lot more than I was offered the winter tyres at!! I prefer the look of them, just have to figure out how to get the summer tyres on the winter rims and vice versa without spending loads of money or throwing useable rubber away!

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
For £184 you could buy a reasonable set of second hand rims or maybe even most of a new set of steel ones.

Easier to swap - do it when it suits you - less wear and tear on your alloys and when stored flat (and pumped up) the tyres maintain their shape better.

Only previso is that the tyres should be protected from sunlight whilst in store.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I got a set of steel wheels with my winter tyres they are still on I am waiting for the snow :D

Davelincs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220, 2014, Audi TTRS plus
Ok I know summers on the way, but I am used to having a 4x4 car,, but now I have a rear wheel drive , I am looking into buying wheels and tyres before winter, could anyone recommend decent winter tyres
Thanks
Dave

as400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350cdi

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
These worked well for me

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Wintrac-Xtreme.htm

Look on Camskill or on Ebay as you can get some from Germany occasionally for good money.

My brother ran these on his Rangey Sport for 2 winters - very well mannered!

I've run Nokian WR A3 and they were very good (and quiet-running), and ran Avon Ice Touring ST last winter - well behaved in cold & cold, and very wet conditions - didn't get to test them in the white stuff.

Last edited:

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Paid about £40-50 to swap summer to winter and back.... Then picked up a set of pre facelift alloys from one of the chaps here. 2 winters on and following an initial DIY refurb and £40 to refit them, it's a max hour to swap them whenever the weather looks right....so about £160 saved...oh and I will at least get next winter out of them before they get to 4mm and the recommended change point ( close to 30k ) edit to say mine have been hankook ones.

Last edited:

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Just had my summer tyres put back on and for the first time Mercedes Aberdeen charged me £62 for the privilege. Up until now I had paid £60 per annum for storage and the wheels were swapped twice a year. This was a good deal. At £184 this is not quite so good.
Just wondering what other dealerships charged?

Remember you are now dealing with Arnold and his Merry Men of double glazing salesmen.

One of them wanted £100 from me to bring a car to my local branch to view, an offer which I declined, not too politely it should be said. They later relented and brought the car and while I was viewing it, he was running in and out of the showroom with 'things to do'. I discovered later what he was doing when he presented me with an order form to sign. That I also declined, but about an hour later, I got a phone call from their Insurance arm offering me cover for the car I was buying from --l-n. Talk about psychological pressure...! Needless to say, I went elsewhere and a car was brought to the door to for my wife to view and we negotiated over a friendly cup of coffee.

I don't know how AC gets the business he does. I have always got on OK with the service staff, but this latest episode would put me off the whole organisation for good. <rant over>

Ernie

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom