1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash error collision prevention assist plus inoperative

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Ricardo_e220, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Ricardo_e220

Ricardo_e220 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R170 SLK230k 1999
    This message has popped up on my CLS yesterday and today, car seems unaffected but I’m unsure about this...

done some googling and it suggested as did a car pal that the sensors could be dirty? I’ve wiped the windscreen, power washed the car and given the pdc sensors a wipe also...but it’s still there...

anyone know actually where the radar sensors are for this?

or is it another trip to Mercedes ....

Attached Files:

2. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    Some use the front parking sensors and / or a radar behind the bonnet grill

3. Bubble

Bubble Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
    Same message came up on my dashboard tonight when I left work and was sitting stationary at traffic lights. It's happened twice now in the last couple of months. I just cleared the message again.

4. GlosRichCLK

GlosRichCLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
    Sometimes this doesn't work after a frost, ice on the sensor, which is usually behind the front emblem badge.

5. mioba

mioba Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124/1994/E200, W220/2004/S320CDI, W205/2016/C200, W447/2017/3.0 CDI
    Ideally it needs to go on STAR to pinpoint the exact cause. It could be a simple fix or more.

Ricardo_e220 likes this.
  6. Cole@MBS

Cole@MBS Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    124 300 CE 24 Coupe, 209 240 CLK
    There is a software flash for this, it seems that the software has expired for most models and a update cures a major amount of faults....

Ricardo_e220 and Bubble like this.
  7. Bubble

Bubble Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
    That's interesting, as I did a bit of searching on various forums and that has cured a few owners cars, but no all.

My E350 went in for the steering column airbag earthing issue about three months ago and the said that they would do any software updates at the same time.

If I get time I will give the dealer a call next week.

8. Botus

Botus Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2010/500
    they seldom do what they say they will,

nice idea build software that makes you take the car back to the main franchise for an update
    two good reasons,

revenue stream and can check what's dying so they can refine their engineering on time to intended death better

Ricardo_e220 likes this.
  9. OP
    Ricardo_e220

Your Mercedes:
    R170 SLK230k 1999
    thanks Everyone (and esp Cole)

Washed the car properly and it is still there - there is nothing behind the grilles as I’ve looked...suspect it’s all in the windscreen , rang local stealers and spoke to main tech who said it should be software update and car still should be (erm ok?!) ok to use and it’s booked in early next week.. cunning that the warranty is about to run out as soon!

Bubble likes this.
  10. Botus

Botus Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2010/500
    at least you had the good sense to check and book / request updates before warranty ends :)

if you have comand based sat nav go back and re book for your free updates on the mapping (inside first 3 years) and get proof they did it... and any other DAB / Comand firmware updates going

Blobcat likes this.
  11. OP
    Ricardo_e220

Your Mercedes:
    R170 SLK230k 1999
    Had a rollercoaster of a day...what I expected to be a simple software update was followed by a phone call from stealer...we need you to preauthorise 2 Hours labour (£280!) to remove the front bumper and check the sensor...

Cue much WTF from me...surely this is under warranty...well we can’t tell if the car has been damaged before and affected the sensor as it’s reading faulty...if it’s been damaged you’ll have to pay...or we will if it’s failed normally as the MB warranty is still valid ...(I’ve only had this thing for 2 months from an independant sales place and have a ‘warranty’ from there also)

oh and the cost of part is £700 apparently!!!!

Kick off royally as I was at home without a Courtesy car...go pick that up to be told the sensor and connectors are corroded and faulty and thus it’s a warranty repair....

utterly ridiculous...both cost of part, labour charges and also a faulty corroded part after less than 3 years and 30k miles!!! If it goes again out of warranty I’ll not be getting that fixed!

too much technology in these modern cars!!!

oh and told them I want the maps and other software updates all doing!

EmilysDad likes this.
  12. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Agreed - there's far too much tech in cars these days. Sometimes it seems like tech for tech sake.

Ricardo_e220, Blobcat and EmilysDad like this.
  13. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto

no surprise there. soon it will be like microsoft, difficult or impossible to avoid then they will start getting viruses and we will have to start paying for a benz version of antivirus and it all goes on...£££££. a few weeks ago , before i found out how to stop it happening windows updated itself and after that my printer would not scan.. had to delete printer program and re install to get it to work .wasted most of my morning working that out and doing it. now same is happening to our cars..