Dashboard etc Dead, HELP!!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
The S204 has thrown a wobbly on me. Car had a good run on Sunday but has not been used since. Looked at the battery condition monitor when I went to the car for the supermarket run, light was amber rather than green but car started OK - except none of the 4 dashboard guages worked (fuel level, temp, speedo and tacho). Headed off and found no indicators, no hazards, auto lock at about 10mph not happening (although switches in drivers door work), also found electric boot release button in drivers door does not work although tailgate opens from the button on the key fob and closes on the tailgate button. 7 miles each way to the supermarket, not sure if the dash illumination (round the dials) was working on the way there but was on the drive home. Checked the condition monitor once home, green light now, but just in case I've put the smart battery charger on, once the battery is fully charge it will switch itself off.

So, after battery voltage too low, next thought is a blown fuse - but which one and where is it? I don't even know where the fuses are, I suspect there's a few in the storage cubbies either side of the boot but have no idea. Is this something I can check - I have spare blade fuses knocking around somewhere - or do I need a mobile auto electrician who knows his way round an MB S204?

TIA for helping!!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
How old is the battery spurious faults are typical of a failing unit?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I have my fuse chart for my W204 on a PDF but too big to upload as a full doc so here is a reduced ver in bits for your reference, it should help you at least to find where everything is?
It's not unusual to have fuses blowing due to failing batteries as the reduced operating voltages will induce higher currents to flow in all working circuits when energised.

upload_2020-11-4_17-43-40.png upload_2020-11-4_17-45-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-4_17-43-56.png
    upload_2020-11-4_17-43-56.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 2
OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How old is the battery spurious faults are typical of a failing unit?

Battery is only a few months old - fitted 22/3/2020. I keep a condition monitor on all the time, visible through the tailgate, and when it goes from green to amber I put my smart charger on and fully recharge it. When I parked, after a decent run Sunday, light was green but was amber when we went to the car about 2pm, car started fine - and that's not the first time since March I've had the amber light and started the car! However, it's the first time (in the 8 1/2 years I've owned the car) that I've had this dashboard failure!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’d check the battery with a voltmeter before you next use the car sounds like the battery is loosing charge what type was fitted it’s not that unusual for a newish battery to malfunction

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’d be looking for water damage / corrosion

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Funnily enough I'd just thought that when I take the battery charger off tomorrow I should put my Avo meter across the terminals, then start the engine and check again! Wonder if the battery is the criminal, as I replaced it in November last year, it failed in March and Halfords had to replace it under warranty. The battery I bought was exactly the same as the one that was in the car when I bought it end March 2012, and I have the previous service invoices with no mention of battery replacement so I assume it was original (2008).

Russ, where would you be looking for water damage/corrosion? Car lives on the driveway, but not had any signs of leaks, damp carpets etc!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’d start with the SAM’s and fuse boxes

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Funnily enough I'd just thought that when I take the battery charger off tomorrow I should put my Avo meter across the terminals, then start the engine and check again! Wonder if the battery is the criminal, as I replaced it in November last year, it failed in March and Halfords had to replace it under warranty. The battery I bought was exactly the same as the one that was in the car when I bought it end March 2012, and I have the previous service invoices with no mention of battery replacement so I assume it was original (2008).

Russ, where would you be looking for water damage/corrosion? Car lives on the driveway, but not had any signs of leaks, damp carpets etc!
An AVO meter? what model and mark is it? you should wrap that up in cotton wool it could be worth more than some cars on the forum! :geek:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An AVO meter? what model and mark is it? you should wrap that up in cotton wool it could be worth more than some cars on the forum! :geek:
I’ve a couple, a Model 7’s and a Model 8 :cool:

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's a Micronta, had it for years/decades, runs off a typical 9.8V battery like our smoke detectors - and IIRC there's also a AA in there, not sure. 0.25-250 or 1000v DC, 50U to 500m amps, RX10k-1 and ACV 10-1000. Routinely only used for continuity, DC V checking batteries and AC 240V if/when I have to mess with a mains point. Also have another older one in the garage, not sure what that is!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do they still work or have you managed to blow them up yet :)
Both working last time I checked... I’ve quite a lot of test gear, although haven’t used much other than my fluke multimeters for years.

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Even more confused now. Decided to check the car before heading for bed, found the dashboard illumination lights were on and a small red light flashing - I think ESP off. Battery charger was still charging but flashing the light for the last 10% at very slow charge. Opened car, no mileage or trip meter showing, puddle lights, interior lights working, key in and headlights came on (I have them set to on with ignition), started car, still no mileage/trip, tacho, fuel gauge readings! Switched off and locked the car, dash illumination stayed on! Brain fried, see what tomorrow brings!

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK, so battery charger had done its thing and turned off, Avo show battery 13v engine off and 14.8v engine running, condition monior also shows battery fully charged and charging system OK.

Thanks to Tony Dyson I have the fuseboard locations and listings, but with all the things that are not working I'm now thinking SAM problem - I have no idea where they are but that would be way out of my comfort zone. I had a look at the fuseboard under the bonnet drivers side and in the boot side stowage drivers side and can see nothing obvious in either. @alexanderfoti are too far away so I'll have to try and find someone nearby, I'm hoping Arrow Maintenance in Ashford can help.

To recap - things not working are :
All instrument cluster gauges
Indicators and hazards
Steering wheel buttons
Boot release in driver's door
Autolock at 10mph (lock/unlock buttons on drivers door do work, as do all buttons on keyfob)

There may be other things, but those are the ones I've found so far!

Edit - have spoken to Arrow Maintenance, they're not mobile but do have Star, so after coffee I'm taking a brave pill and driving the car to them - about 7 miles along the A28 to the outskirts of Ashford, suspect I'll be leaving the car with them for rear SAM replacement and programming (unless I get lucky and Star can re-set the damned thing!).

Last edited:
OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
RESULT!!

Arrow Maintenance plugged the car into their Star/Xentry machine and found the dashboard and SAM had lost programming - and needed an update as well. Re-programmed and updated it, all now working properly and car back on our driveway. Good discount for paying in cash, all told (including taxi home this morning) just under £100!!

Big thumbs up for Arrow Maintenance.:D:D:D:D

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
RESULT!!

Arrow Maintenance plugged the car into their Star/Xentry machine and found the dashboard and SAM had lost programming - and needed an update as well. Re-programmed and updated it, all now working properly and car back on our driveway. Good discount for paying in cash, all told (including taxi home this morning) just under £100!!

Big thumbs up for Arrow Maintenance.:D:D:D:D
Did they have an opinion on why the items lost their programming initially?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom