De-badging - How do you get badges off cleanly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SL500
I have a 1991 230CE and was considering removing the badge on the bootlid. Anyone done this before?

Does the badge come off cleanly without leaving any marks or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Cheers

--
Sp!ke

Shude

Reaction score
Website
www.c230k.co.uk
De-badging

You need to take it to your bodyshop...only kidding ;)

assuming they're glued on, try heating the badges up with a hairdryer (NOT a heat-gun!) to soften the glue a little, then pull some dental floss underneath the badge from one end to the other.  It will leave sticky marks afterwards, but these can be removed with Autoglym tar-remover or even turps, and you will need to polish and wax the area when finished to protect it.

Let's hope your car's paint hasn't faded a little over the years except under the badges...

OP
S

Spike

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SL500
De-badging

Thanks for that, but the words "assuming they are glued on" slightly concern me.

Are some models badges attached differently, aren't they all glued on?

--
Sp!ke

Anonymous

Reaction score
De-badging

No some Benz badges are bolted or screwed on ...

if they are glued on ... try boiling water it will loosten the glue ... and wont melt the paint...much safer than a heat gun or simular...

WHY De-Badge though ???

OP
S

Spike

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SL500
De-badging

Purely cosmetic...plus the fact it disguises the fact that it only is a lowly 230.

I must say that I picked this car up only recently as the previous owner was offered such a lousy Part-ex. It's a one owner, manual gearbox model now at 100k on the clock but with a full MB service history (I have known the car from new also) and the dealer offered only 2K for it.  I promptly matched the offer  :biggrin  ...well wouldnt you?

I only wish I could get used to the handbrake as I keep on reaching for the thing with my left hand.

--
Sp!ke

R10RGT

Reaction score
De-badging

Spike - I can 100% confirm the badges on your car are kept on with a glue/sticky pad arrangement (took same badge off once!!).

Recommend as above - warm (I did it by repeatedly pouring hot water over) and use floss.

I've never had a problem with faded paint, but if the car has been put through a car-wash regularly you will see that the badge covers the only area left un-scratched...

Anonymous

Reaction score
De-badging

full service history and one previous owner...

sounds like you could be onto a good motor there....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom