Depreciation

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes but diesels are noisy, slow, smell horrible, emit carcinogens, and kill the planet. Modern diesels have (allegedly) cleaner emissions devices that cause endless cost and problems.

I speak as the owner of two diesel cars, and I will never sell my 2012 diesel Defender, but there is more to it than the convenience argument.
The EU6 diesels have been rushed to the market when they are made reliable they set the benchmark presently on emissions v environmental effects from cradle to grave

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
WInter, stuck in traffic because of an accident and the batteries (my planned charge stop is 20 miles away) are discharging rapidly because of the electric heaters in the car....... Cannot make it to the charge point.:shock:

As previously stated, I’m not anti EV but they are not the perfect solution (yet).

Lol reminds me many years ago when a traffic jam on the M4. We moved inches in 3 hours and a BMW i3? (That tiny electric thing bmw did) driver hurried over to the hard shoulder, got out of the car and kicked it several times!

I rolled down my window and asked what’s wrong. He said, ‘the fvcking things run out of electric because I’ve been here for hours, had a delay in the morning, now I have to get it recovered to bmw’. He said that bmw had to reset something on it when this happens.

It’s very well planning a stop but when it goes pear shaped with accidents, delays, road closures, detours etc, your planning goes out the window! The number of times I set of from Berkshire at 9:45pm and arrived in a Nottingham at 2-4am, thanks road closures, detours and sat nav cocks ups were far too many over 12yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Lol reminds me many years ago when a traffic jam on the M4. We moved inches in 3 hours and a BMW i3? (That tiny electric thing bmw did) driver hurried over to the hard shoulder, got out of the car and kicked it several times!

I rolled down my window and asked what’s wrong. He said, ‘the fvcking things run out of electric because I’ve been here for hours, had a delay in the morning, now I have to get it recovered to bmw’. He said that bmw had to reset something on it when this happens.

It’s very well planning a stop but when it goes pear shaped with accidents, delays, road closures, detours etc, your planning goes out the window! The number of times I set of from Berkshire at 9:45pm and arrived in a Nottingham at 2-4am, thanks road closures, detours and sat nav cocks ups were far too many over 12yrs.

If the battery in an i3 goes flat BMW do have to reset it... I had the use of one for a couple of years... Glad it wasn't mine and I didn't have more than 10 miles to drive in it...

Reactions: DSK

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
mine is not a long range at 300 miles because we choose a performance model, others are around 400 and to be honest i would be ready for a break by then anyway. there is no compromise at all , each to their own i guess the tech is the best yet

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
Yes but diesels are noisy, slow, smell horrible, emit carcinogens, and kill the planet. Modern diesels have (allegedly) cleaner emissions devices that cause endless cost and problems.

I speak as the owner of two diesel cars, and I will never sell my 2012 diesel Defender, but there is more to it than the convenience argument.
A bit dramatic ;)
Seeing as posting YouTube videos is in fashion today!

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ha ha many a true word said in jest.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
As a friend with a Tesla said to me “the battery lasts longer than my bladder”

Should have said to him, an average ice car will tell him how strong his bladder is

I think electric cars are fun, I unplug a relatives hybrid Range Rover on occasions I go to their house just imagine how p155ed they’d be if it was fully electric. I remember back in 2000ish, there was a Peugeot 106 that belonged to someone at the uni I was at. I always unplugged it over the years I was there

Alastairp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK200 coupe (now gone) 2011 R230 SL350 2014 C220 estate
When I had an A3 E-Tron, the charge cable was locked and could not be removed when the vehicle was locked.
Less scope for anti-social behaviour that way

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
When I had an A3 E-Tron, the charge cable was locked and could not be removed when the vehicle was locked.
Less scope for anti-social behaviour that way
All mercs are the same. There’s a button by the charge point that stops the charge but you cannot unplug the cable like you say until the car is unlocked. I think it’s more to do with safety than theft of the cable.

Reactions: DSK

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mine is the same once on charge the lead cannot be removed unless i unlock the port.

kvz2000

Reaction score
Just generally looking through auto trader seen a nice car thought I’d see what my car would be worth …………£1,100 I can’t believe how little cars are worth these days.
The fact is the cars not being sold and if I do get another I’ll keep the car aswell.
New brake callipers, discs and pads, injectors seals and rocker cover gasket, front bumper re spray all that almost cost me £1,100in the last few months.
Absolute joke these stealers
Funny thing is I’m finding it the opposite , insurance and local trader puts my car at around £12k we paid £14k over 3 years ago so I’m happy with that , it’s a 2014 plate E250 CDI AMG night something .

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
As a friend with a Tesla said to me “the battery lasts longer than my bladder”

But like many a racing driver does..if needed and its absolutely desperate, one can empty ones bladder whilst driving - admittedly there would be a clean up operation when you get home, or one can pull over and run behind a tree...neither of which options have a EV charger...

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....

If that happened in my car, it would run out of juice in around 40 hours - the battery is 64kwh and the heater uses about 500w once warmed through.

If I was in my car for 40hrs - the battery going flat would be the least of my worries...!!

And has ANYONE ever been stuck in a 40 hr traffic jam in this country?

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Those maps are not really telling the truth. They show every household and other private charge points (offices, factories etc). Perhaps if you filtered them down to only publically accessible points it will be more truthful.

“Do all charge points work on all EVs?"

Ok - Same map filtered for 50KW chargers and above - awful the lack of chargers isn't it....

So this is filtered to all the chargers that will fit my car (which is the same connection as pretty much every other ev - there are only 3 types by the way - Tesla, Chademo (Nissan and Renault only) and CCS - absolutely everything else.

1691347489338.png

So god yeh - really thin on the ground - it's terrible - I mean I'd need one charge to get to Scotland and I would only have about 1000 to choose from.

I did a trip to London today let me tell you how really really hard it was.....

I set off (with a full "tank" because kindly my charger "filled" me to the brim overnight whilst I slept)... and drove to Holland Park in London - 120 miles.

Because we were running late, I was going above the speed I'd usually go (I won't put the figure) but anyone stating EV's cant' keep up with motorway speeds even the more generous ones - well that's not true.

So I admit, driving quickly I used 150m range to do 120m - no problem I still had 130 m of range to go - actually enough to get home again if I kept the speed down a bit. There was no parking at Holland Park.... except for 2 empty (and free) EV bays where I plugged in whilst we went on a picnic for 3 hours with some friends..... Had I had an ICE car I'd have had to pay £12.20 to park in the local car park.

So, so far, my fuel there cost about £3 - and then I parked - for free.... and paid £5 for a charge for 3 hours.

Then I drove back - leaving with 200 miles ish of range and I'm home with 68m of range left....

When I wake up tomorrow I'll have a "full tank" again - for about £4-5

So - compared to an ICE car -

CostICE carEV
Fuel for there and back, full to full£40.58 (40mpg @£1.49£6
Parking£12.20£0
Public Charging£0£5
Total Cost of trip£53£11

Plus in an ICE car I'd have to waste 10 minutes filling my car up whereas all I had to do was plug it in (takes less than 20 sec - yes shock horror, EV drivers spend a lot less time "filling up" than ICE drivers do!

Had I NOT been able to get the chance to charge whilst parked up, I passed about 4 Motorway services, all with multiple chargers... mostly available (there might have been a few in use, we didn't need to stop.... I would have needed less than 10 min to top up and it would have cost me about £4-5 to Rapid charge, as I wouldn't have needed to fill to 80%, all I would have needed was a little splash and dash to get home.

I've just used the app to check - currently at this moment in time, on the M4 - of the 4 motorway services, there is over 80% of the chargers being unused and available......

I'm sorry, but this "infrastructure that doesn't work" is just rubbish - it's working fine.

I do concede that on a Bank Holiday Monday in the middle of the day, there may be a bit more demand, but in my experience, on a trip like that, getting a charge is easy.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tesla rigging things?

Nope - There have been numerous independent tests showing that a Tesla will run for about 1-2 miles after it shows it's run out - most EV's are the same.

They usually enter "Turtle Mode" with about 5 miles to go to save power.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
WInter, stuck in traffic because of an accident and the batteries (my planned charge stop is 20 miles away) are discharging rapidly because of the electric heaters in the car....... Cannot make it to the charge point.:shock:

As previously stated, I’m not anti EV but they are not the perfect solution (yet).
If your "planned charge stop" is 20 miles away you'd still have 60m in the battery (cos you'd be daft to run it so close to the edge) and 60m is about 12-13KWH in the battery - or 20hrs of heating........ again not a massive problem.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom