DIY brake fluid change on 2001 E320CDI?

J

Johnny G Pipe

Hi
Trying to cut costs for my B service - the dealer has asked me to authorise brake fluid change at £40+ dreaded, but should be able to do it meself, no? There aren't accumulators and other stuff that need the diagnostic kit are there?

I don't have a pressure bleeder, but my wife will pump the pedal for me. (Then we'll bleed the brakes;) )

Fankoo.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi
Trying to cut costs for my B service - the dealer has asked me to authorise brake fluid change at £40+ dreaded, but should be able to do it meself, no? There aren't accumulators and other stuff that need the diagnostic kit are there?

I don't have a pressure bleeder, but my wife will pump the pedal for me. (Then we'll bleed the brakes;) )

Fankoo.

No problem there, to do yourself, the little one way bleeders only cost a £5 if you fall out with the wife:confused: :confused:

OP
J

Johnny G Pipe

Bless you, TV.
Already have 2 little bleeders at home, don't want to be buying another..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Bless you, TV.
Already have 2 little bleeders at home, don't want to be buying another..

8 pumps for the rear and 4 for the front should do nicely, do keep your eyes on the top up tank.

Where would we be without little bleeders:idea: :idea:

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Take at least 500ml out from the system for a good bleed.

OP
J

Johnny G Pipe

Thanks for the tips - always hard to know when the old stuff's out, unless youre putting blue stuff in..

MW

Reaction score
I have used an Gunstunes Eazibleed system for 15 years and it never fails to get a rock hard peddle after 2 bleeds all around (just to be sure). So simple, open tap and watch the old dark fluid come out till its clear. Use a litre of fluid to give it a real flush through, and do not use more than 20 lbs of pressure on the Eazibleed.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
My ezi bleed got its self destroyed, just after the cap came off the reservior and emptied half a pint all over a new paint job, and with only 15psi pressure.
If you use one make dead sure that it wont come off the cap under pressure.

If you spill fluid wash it off immediately with lots of soapy water, brake fluid is a superb paint remover.

When you change the fluid push back the capiler pistons so that they get new fluid in them along with the brake pipes. do this a couple of times to be sure that you have flushed out the calipers.

Removing as much of the old stuff in the reservoir before you start (use a turkey baster) will reduce the quantity of fluid required to flush the old stuff out.

Be sure that you follow the correct wheel sequence or you may leave a part of the system filled with the old fluid. If you have opened the system to change parts it is essential that you use the correct sequence or the air will never come out and you will have a soggy pedal.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom