Dodgy electrics - 300TE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous

Reaction score
The car is an 89, 140K miles old and a wee bit scruffy. The OSR window was working on and off but has now stopped working and worse still, has taken out the NSF one with it! I know the 2 are on the same fuse, but if the fuse is replaced it blows as soon as you energise the circuit by ignition or opening the door. Before I order a replacement regulator/motor and switchesx2, can anyone out there enlighten me as to wether this is a common fault or not? Reckon I am heading into a pit of despair electrically as the rear wiper motor has slowed to a stop and has now blown the fuse there too! HELP!

Andy Cottrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300D 1994 Diesel
Dodgy electrics

Suggest that you remove both window switches and insert new fuse. If fuse is OK with both switches out, put in one switch. If fuse is still OK put in other switch. If fuse blows it will at least point you in the direction of the motor and/or the wiring from the switch to the motor. If the switch that causes the fuse to blow controls the rear window suspect the motor especially if the window is not used too much. They do tend to "bind" and cause excess current to be drawn hence blowing the fuse. If you suspect the motor but do not fancy paying lots of money for a new one I would suggest that a visit to a breakers is in order.(£100 from MB for rear window motor). You may also like to know that Ford electric window motors (from Granada/Scorpio I think) happen to be just the right size, shape, etc for the rear windows.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.

OP
A

Anonymous

Reaction score
Dodgy electrics

Great! Thanks for the pointers. I have been quoted £70 for the motor and regulator and £10 for the switch, plus VAT, from www.mercedesparts.co.uk, has anyone used these people before? I am trying to locate a source of quality used spares and these guys seem to be a professional outfit. I noticed from other posts that a fix for the rear wiper was posted. I'll take it out this w/e and investigate...

Andy Cottrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300D 1994 Diesel
Dodgy electrics

Switch for my 1990 300TE (Part No A 124 820 89 10) was £8.67 plus VAT from the main dealers. Avalible from stock.

Andy Cottrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300D 1994 Diesel
Dodgy electrics

The rear window wiper on my 300TE also got a bit slow, although it didn't blow any fuses. Have just investigated to find that the drive shaft that goes from the motor through the window was corroded causing the fault. Cleaned, reassembled, packed with plenty of grease; all now appears O.K.

OP
A

Anonymous

Reaction score
Dodgy electrics

I tried to remove the rear window wiper from the car. I even bought some circlip pliers to expand the clip on the shaft. It just would not budge though. I was a bit loathe to belt the shaft from the outside of the car in case I broke the glass. The wiper motor must be corroded though as the wiper stalls just off the bottom of the return stroke. Any ideas where I might be going wrong? Apart from using the Haynes manual of course...

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Dodgy electrics

Hiya Racing Snake,
Replacing these rear wiper motors on TE models. Is every mechanics nightmare. Sounds like your unlucky. Every things seized up. Plenty of WD4O & work it slowly. It will eventually come off. Just think,I  do this for a living. If I break the glass it's my fault. If I'm not able to remove the motor then who else can. Talk about catch 22. Replace all the plastic parts & gromett around where the motor passes through the glass. You might be better off by cutting through the plastic with a junior hack saw & just replacing the plastic parts as they are inexpensivve & will save a lot of time and hassle by trying to remove and save those parts.

Good luck!!!!

OP
A

Anonymous

Reaction score
Dodgy electrics

Now how did I know you were going to say that! Oh well, I'll give it a try. There did seem to be some powder dropping out of the housing, probably oxide of some sort...... Thanks for the advice. I may give it a squirt of WD every night for a week and let it penetrate..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom