Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Why do people put stuff they don't want made public...in emails?

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I don't think he deserves a knighthood (tax dodging or not) but most that have them don't deserve them either.
Makes the whole thing cheap.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I very strongly think the whole honours thing as it stands should be poured down the toilet. And getting any award for doing the job you get paid for (often quite handsomely) is another one of those "injustices" that our Theresa will manage to ignore. Senior civil servants almost seem to regard it as part of their career path - but why should they?

But to answer your question - if Philip Green deserved a knighthood then why not David Beckham?

- And his award would have been for services to charity (i.e.: not for his job of playing football) whereas the other guy got his for "Services to Retailing" (err isn't that what could have been described as his job?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
No he doesn't.
He is an extremely fortunate individual who has used his looks and football skills to amass an obscene fortune through tax breaks (read fiddles) and good business ideas.

How that makes him deserving of a knighthood I don't know, but as they are given out like confetti to people with dubious entitlement he may well get one at some point.

His charity work should not be considered toward any knighthood IMO. He has the time and money to do it , so good on him for participating....but knighthood? No.

Probably best I don't comment on his wife's "attributes"

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Why do people put stuff they don't want made public...in emails?

Because they think that as they spelled the receiving email address correctly, they're secure.

Hardly anyone ever considers encryption...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
No definitely not, unworthy, self obsessed tax evader. The honours system is an anachronism and should be scrapped .

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
^^^Thon.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Why not, his wife has an MBE ffs :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The old story people get famous and ponce about playing God,

Bill Gates is doing it, Madonna's doing it, endless b list celebrities wring their hands on TV "raising awareness" etc etc

Beckham is just another in a long line, if he was American he would be involved in the "we lost the election movement" the cult of celebrity has transformed society so much that honours are now expected and bought.

David Camerons exit honours list is the latest insult to our society.

OP
prwales

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
  • Banned
No definitely not, unworthy, self obsessed tax evader. The honours system is an anachronism and should be scrapped .

George Best summed him up as a player

He can’t kick with his left foot, he can’t head, he can’t tackle, and he doesn’t score many goals. Apart from that, he’s alright.

a bit harsh and he has done well for himself which I'd put down to his clever wife but he is by no means a bad role model for any would be footballers to imitate ?

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
A definite no from me too. I can't stand the pair of them, he's proved now that his only reason for doing any work for charity was to get himself a knighthood and although I know he's probably not the first to do that, his offensive emails have shown that he's not worthy of any reward for anything he has done.

I hate how him and VB are always using their children to get themselves more press coverage and I'm sure we are all totally fed up of always seeing pictures of them in the papers. The day after all this went public he gets his 'photographer' son to take a loving picture of him and Harper having a nice cosy breakfast, makes me want to puke :rolleyes:

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Couldnt care less. It is meaningless to me.

OP
prwales

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
  • Banned
The British press do what they always do, build someone up then smash them down and have a good laugh about it. They take particular pleasure if like Beckham the celebrity has aspirations to join the top table.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The ehole honours system is wrong, knighthoods, OBE's, MBE's need to be given to those truly deserving of the accolade not just because they are celebrities.

A couple of years age we put my father in law forward for an award due to his 50 years of service to charities taking on roles such as Chairman and Finance Officer, he has been organising fundraising events such as jumble sales in all those years, and has also been President of our local Rotary Society multiple times over the years doing further charitable works. All the work he has done has been in his own time and he has not received or wished to receive any financial benefits. The application was refused.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom