DPF regen with icarsoft 2.0

Nickhgard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V220d
Hi

I've had a split boost pipe which has now been fixed. When I picked the car up the yellow engine management light was on. The garage read the code (DPF early stages of being blocked) reset it and said to give it a good drive down a motorway which I did (for 20min at around 3000rpm). After that I drove a further 20min on smaller roads. Turned the engine off, went off for a bit and when I turned the engine on the light was back on. As I understand it won't do a regen if the fill is too much so it looks like a need a forced regen. Anyway I'm trying to do it with a icarsoft MB v. 2.0 and it hasn't got my car listed. It's a 65plate V220d, oem651 engine. The engine is Used in both c and e class so I'm wondering if it's possible to select one of them to force a regen or not? Will I have to take the plunge and do it through a dealer?

Many thanks

Nick

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

OP
N

Nickhgard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V220d

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Well I don't know how successful you would be by telling your instrument your vehicle is something it isn't, technically I don't believe this is possible as there is a handshake protocol that takes place to confirm the instrument is connected to the right vehicle and I've made the odd mistake to find error messages and had to start registering the car again, apart from getting your vehicle up to standard operating temperatures there's only one other parameter I'm aware of that will inhibit a regen and that is the fuel level needs to be above half full, mine is OK anywhere above a quarter tank but popular consensus says half, other than that I'm afraid you will need Star and some professional help, strange it isn't listed though? have you spoken to iCarsoft about it?

OP
N

Nickhgard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V220d
I havent yet, that's a good shout. Think I'll drop them an email. Thanks for your help.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
2500 rpm with a hot engine . Any codes logged and it won't happen. The dpf sensor can also fail giving the false readings that dpf fill level is high. I tried using icarsoft on a 2015 c250 . It was a waste of time tbh. I ended up buying a new sensor . Ran mb2 dpf check , deleted codes and went for a drive at 2500 in 5th gear cruise control on. Seemed to sort itself out.

Pretty sure mb2 asks for 15 litres of fuel.

OP
N

Nickhgard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V220d
2500 rpm with a hot engine . Any codes logged and it won't happen. The dpf sensor can also fail giving the false readings that dpf fill level is high. I tried using icarsoft on a 2015 c250 . It was a waste of time tbh. I ended up buying a new sensor . Ran mb2 dpf check , deleted codes and went for a drive at 2500 in 5th gear cruise control on. Seemed to sort itself out.

Pretty sure mb2 asks for 15 litres of fuel.
Thank you. I will try and clear the codes and give it a good run.. Got 45min motorway driving Sunday so hopefully it'll work.. Thanks for the help

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you. I will try and clear the codes and give it a good run.. Got 45min motorway driving Sunday so hopefully it'll work.. Thanks for the help

Take your scanner so you can maybe stop halfway and delete error codes if still present ....

rash.m2k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2012 W204
I've just received the tactrix open port i bought for £13 from china - honestly combined with xentry this is way better than icarsoft. You need to first force a standing regen! What this means is if your DPF will level is >200% then the car will keep revs at 1800rpm for upto 15mins, regen to get them down to less than 200%. Once that is done then you need to do a regen while driving, for this put the car in 2nd gear and go round and round at 2k rpm, but less than 50KPH (yes KPH).

I'm not a mechanic and haven't been regening DPFs for ages - but all this info is directly from the Xentry Mercedes diagnostic software, I have a 2012 C220 with a split boost pipe, and this is the only thing that got rid of the EML light.

OP
N

Nickhgard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V220d
It's such a shame that you can't use icarsoft with an oem651 engine. It seem to be the most common engine to need a regen. Lots of split boost pipes which seem to cause it. I've emailed them to see if they plan to include this engine but not holding my breath for a reply.

Thanks for the info about xentry. My main issue is that I haven't got a laptop which rules a lot of solutions out. I will try clearing the codes and give it another long run this weekend but I think it's too full to regen by itself.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I was looking at this a while back.... well known issue with the DPF sensors not working.... on to their seventh revision and a software update required or something like that

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
As mentioned above if DPF is needing forced regen apart from the split hose theres something possibly not right Nick(DPF pressure sensor or temp sender possibly). Live values on your icarsoft should show any wayward readings if theres no fault codes. I have recently purchased an icarsoft pro which the software is basically the same except the pro has a separate Dpf regen application from your icarsoft. just select Vito/Viano Can bus(if your 220 is can bus) or any other OM651 application and try the dpf regen to see if it works(engine needs to be at working temp and certain amount of fuel). I know Its an option on mine I just haven't tried it as not needed. What level of soot is the icarsoft showing?

Last edited:
OP
N

Nickhgard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V220d
As mentioned above if DPF is needing forced regen apart from the split hose theres something possibly not right Nick(DPF pressure sensor or temp sender possibly). Live values on your icarsoft should show any wayward readings if theres no fault codes. I have recently purchased an icarsoft pro which the software is basically the same except the pro has a separate Dpf regen application from your icarsoft. just select Vito/Viano Can bus(if your 220 is can bus) or any other OM651 application and try the dpf regen to see if it works(engine needs to be at working temp and certain amount of fuel). I know Its an option on mine I just haven't tried it as not needed. What level of soot is the icarsoft showing?
I've got an error message saying that the soot fill rate is too high. I don't know the exact values but clearing the fault and a long motorway drive won't make it regen so I think its too high for the car to do it automatically. Think I need to book it in to be done as my icarsoft won't regen an oem651 engine.
The main (only I hope) reason for the DPF being full was a split boost pipe which has been fixed.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've got an error message saying that the soot fill rate is too high. I don't know the exact values but clearing the fault and a long motorway drive won't make it regen so I think its too high for the car to do it automatically. Think I need to book it in to be done as my icarsoft won't regen an oem651 engine.
The main (only I hope) reason for the DPF being full was a split boost pipe which has been fixed.

What pressure is the dpf sensor seeing.

Should be around -0.04 and +0.04 bar.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For my better understanding of the DPF Regeneration process, I recorded and created this report last Year of a complete regeneration event recording the 14 changing parameters, the trigger started at 99% fill level when you can see that exhaust temperatures start to rise, at exhaust temperatures approaching 700°C on frame 64 all parameters are met and the DPF fill level starts to drop, the process was interrupted by a Stop/Start controlled engine stop and contrary to popular belief and the OM didn't restart to complete the regen to 0% fill level at next engine startup, it continued to fill again from 38%. You may find this information useful?

700°C Exhaust temperatures was the shocker for me :eek:

Attachments

• Check DPF 2.pdf
    167 KB · Views: 44

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
Nice post.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that regens never get the DPF back to 0% (Seems pretty reasonable to me - I suspect the last 20-30% would be disproportionately difficult to remove) so 38% fill seems reasonable.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice post.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that regens never get the DPF back to 0% (Seems pretty reasonable to me - I suspect the last 20-30% would be disproportionately difficult to remove) so 38% fill seems reasonable.
If left running, my regen cycle will reduce the fill level to 1% every time, my car went in for it's MOT this last week and in preparation for that I found the fill level at 98% so decided to avoid a regen starting during an MOT test to take it for a run, 60-70 MPH Auto @ around 1,500 RPM and as previously the exhaust temperatures start to rise from 99% and regen starts at 100%, a notable difference this year though is the soot level didn't reduce from 4% so that's perhaps something worth keeping an eye on, MOT passed with no advisories. :)

Attachments

• Check DPF 3.pdf
    281 KB · Views: 17

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom