DPF Regen

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Because for 99% of drivers they do not know when a regen is happening and have no issues. Therefore adding any sort of dash indicator will just cause more confusion than it would solve.

You rarely get the burning smell, and the revs at rest rise by about 200rpm which for nearly everyone is not noticeable.

You are looking at a solution trying to find a problem.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
But don’t you think that we, as consumers should have the choice to turn on or off, notifications such as this? Personally, I would like to see vehicle manufacturers deliver a handbook more along the lines of an Operation and Maintenance Manual that you would receive from any other supplier in any other industry, whether you’re purchasing a garden shed or an ocean going liner, the customer should be informed about every working component in the machine they’re buying and not just what the manufacturers want to tell you!

Eddie fh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 2017 220d
But don’t you think that we, as consumers should have the choice to turn on or off, notifications such as this? Personally, I would like to see vehicle manufacturers deliver a handbook more along the lines of an Operation and Maintenance Manual that you would receive from any other supplier in any other industry, whether you’re purchasing a garden shed or an ocean going liner, the customer should be informed about every working component in the machine they’re buying and not just what the manufacturers want to tell you!
I know Royal Mail Peogeot bipper vans have a button to press when the driver knows they are going 20 minutes from sorting office , and aa recovery trucks have a similar system on the Renault midlems but they have to park up phone in to say the dpf gauge is reading full and they need to do a static regen which again is button on the dash , I used to work for both companies

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
For a majority of people they wouldn't care about regeneration or even be aware of the need for it.
Another bit of info flashing up in front of them will probably send them scuttling to their MB dealership.
Or even worse, asking on this forum what that means because they can't be bothered to look in the handbook.
Get enough of that already.
For the vast majority of people it's just a background process that occurs without problem.
The majority of problems seem to occur with sensors rather than an actual DPF fault itself

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Because for 99% of drivers they do not know when a regen is happening and have no issues. Therefore adding any sort of dash indicator will just cause more confusion than it would solve.

You rarely get the burning smell, and the revs at rest rise by about 200rpm which for nearly everyone is not noticeable.

You are looking at a solution trying to find a problem.
I can say for certain that W204 C350 CDI will stink when it's doing the regen. My wife asks me what that burning smell is when she gets in the car during a regen.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I can say for certain that W204 C350 CDI will stink when it's doing the regen. My wife asks me what that burning smell is when she gets in the car during a regen.
i have tried and tried and tried to figure out when mine does a regen. but i cannot for the life of me figure it out. no smells, higher idle. the only thing i do realize is that after its done the car seems smoother and more responsive. BUT............. i think thats just me.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i have tried and tried and tried to figure out when mine does a regen. but i cannot for the life of me figure it out. no smells, higher idle. the only thing i do realize is that after its done the car seems smoother and more responsive. BUT............. i think thats just me.

That's exactly how it is for 99% of owners and why there is no need for any sort of a dash indicator light to confuse the general user who probably doesn't even know these cars have a DPF, let alone do any sort of regen function. No need to confuse the masses for the minority.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
We've got different engines, I have the OM642, maybe that's why. I can also feel the heat from under the car. I've owned cars before, not MB, and they were fitted with DPF's and there was never anything obvious, but back then I had never heard of a DPF.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spent 6 months with the V6 diesel A207 and never had the same, have friends with the same ingine in their W212's and they don't notice regens or smells either. Don't think it is common on that engine either, guess you are just unfortunate. Maybe check its not touching anything that it is heating up.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom