Dreaded SRS lamp again! Local independent, anyone?

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
The SRS warning lamp came on in my 03 S203 just before Christmas. I had to have a squib replaced in one of the rear belt systems. Now the lamp is back on, but I've moved to Gloucestershire. Anyone know of a local chap with the necessary diagnostics , so that I can evaluate whether it's worth fixing, bearing in mind the other minor faults(invisible fuel leak under bonnet that causes very slight smell in cabin, broken motorized flap behind dash, that clicks away for 5 minute every stop/start, whistling brake servo in hot weather...)
I don't care about the SRS lamp myself, but we have grandchildren living with us at the moment, and I don't want to take risks.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Can't help with an indy near Gloucester but just to remind you an SRS light illuminated is an MOT fail if yours is imminent.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
SRS light is annoying, (I have one at the moment) but the fuel leak would be my first concern. Personally I would not drive until cured, especially if it is a Petrol car. Even a "slight smell" could cause a catastrophic fire.

I use Star Motors in Reading, maybe a little far for you, but they know their stuff.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Avantgarde would be my choice if I lived round there.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As you know SRS needs to be remedied and better to use someone who has MB experience. The fuel smell may be HP fuel pump weeping that era/generation suffers that unfortunately which means strip down and new seals or it might just be fuel pipe connection especially if equipped with plastic fuel lines with o ring ends that deteriorate

OP
J

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
SRS light is annoying, (I have one at the moment) but the fuel leak would be my first concern. Personally I would not drive until cured, especially if it is a Petrol car. Even a "slight smell" could cause a catastrophic fire.

I use Star Motors in Reading, maybe a little far for you, but they know their stuff.
It's diesel. The garage I used to use didin't seem to think it was a risk at all. Coudn't even find it..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It's diesel. The garage I used to use didin't seem to think it was a risk at all. Coudn't even find it..
Check under plastic cover on top of the engine. A leaking injector seal can smell a lot

OP
J

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
Check under plastic cover on top of the engine. A leaking injector seal can smell a lot
My garage cleaned up everything under the plastic cover, and then I drove from London to Bristol and back, and looked again. We couldn't find any evidence of a leak.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom