Drink limit 20ml down from 80ml. Why. ?

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi everyone, i like to drive to my local country pub and enjoy a couple of pints with my friends, been doing this as they have for 30yrs. with the current 80 ml levels we are confident with our 2 pints max limit.you also have no concerns for driving the following morning.

the proposed new reduced limit of 20ml will more or less be zero and you basically will not be able to use your car for trips to the pub. you will also have to be aware that a good drink the night before when you are not driving will put you over in the morning.

my question is WHY is the reduction in the limit to 20ml neccesssary?
the 2 pints brigade of responsible drivers have never caused a problem.

the 3 times over the limit brigade who drink to access and don't care will carry on, so why destroy a british tradition? pubs are dying every week but the country pubs with good ale and a log fire were doing ok.

the politicians and do gooders who sit on the committes have chauffers and support fox hunting etc.

i fully understand the remorse a family will feel to have lost a loved one through drink drivers, BUT they are NOT the 2 pinters who are and always have behaved responsibly. i accept that in every million 2 pinters there will be somone who says even 2 pints is not safe, but they cannot back up their honest but wrong belief. what do you think. ? herbiemercman.

wemorgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLK 250CDI
hi everyone, i like to drive to my local country pub and enjoy a couple of pints with my friends, been doing this as they have for 30yrs. with the current 80 ml levels we are confident with our 2 pints max limit.you also have no concerns for driving the following morning.

Be careful. A friend was breath tested after 2 pints and failed. 12 months driving ban followed. Every human body is different, so you may be OK, but worth thinking about.

IPA is my tipple as it's rather weak.

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 merc 190E 1.8 Auto, 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TwinTurbo AWD, 1997 Toyota Hiace PowerVan 2.4D
sorry i don't see the point in drink driving.....its hard to keep the beer in the glass!

i do drink but only on odd occasions, when i do the car is left at home. i don't see why others cant follow suit?

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.

the proposed new reduced limit of 20ml will more or less be zero and you basically will not be able to use your car for trips to the pub. you will also have to be aware that a good drink the night before when you are not driving will put you over in the morning.

my question is WHY is the reduction in the limit to 20ml neccesssary?
the 2 pints brigade of responsible drivers have never caused a problem.

the 3 times over the limit brigade who drink to access and don't care will carry on, so why destroy a british tradition? pubs are dying every week but the country pubs with good ale and a log fire were doing ok.

the politicians and do gooders who sit on the committes have chauffers and support fox hunting etc.

i fully understand the remorse a family will feel to have lost a loved one through drink drivers, BUT they are NOT the 2 pinters who are and always have behaved responsibly. i accept that in every million 2 pinters there will be somone who says even 2 pints is not safe, but they cannot back up their honest but wrong belief. what do you think. ? herbiemercman.

Get a taxi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I can see this thread getting all sanctimonious, but before the keyboard warriors get going please ask yourself -and answer truthfully - have you ever, in your driving life, driven after having a couple of drinks - or more than a couple?? I can well remember an episode many years ago when I drove with more than a couple in me, had to close one eye to see only one road. Looking back, it was a stupid thing to do, and had I been caught I'd have copped a lenghty ban.
However, we live and learn, and as the OP states, the responsible will behave responsibly whereas the irresponsible will ignore the limits whatever they are.
We moved to a lovely village with a good pub within walking distance - perfect!

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 merc 190E 1.8 Auto, 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TwinTurbo AWD, 1997 Toyota Hiace PowerVan 2.4D
i have driven drunk once, so drunk infact that i had to crawl to the van at the time! it took what seemed an age to get in there and another age to get the key in the ignition.

how the hell i got that van back without damage or hitting anything/one is beyond me. but i vowed there and then i would never do that again and since that happened 15 years ago i have never got behind the wheel with a alcoholic drink in me.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I can see this thread getting all sanctimonious, but before the keyboard warriors get going please ask yourself -and answer truthfully - have you ever, in your driving life, driven after having a couple of drinks - or more than a couple??

Quite right Chris.

If there was a means of detecting extreme bad driving behaviour each and every time, (supersonic speed, or stellar alcohol consumption) then I am sure that many of us would have become career pedestrians long ere now.

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
I guess the authorities would like to put the level at zero, but unfortunatley for them, the human body manufactures certain foods into alcohol, so given a blood test many people would fail. Hence the 20mg limit.
As others here have said, the best thing is not to drive if you intend to drink.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
i think it will catch out many more the morning after, most people don't drink and drive and those that do ignore the limit whatever it is. Its those who have had a few ( and it need not be many) who drive the next day, will be affected more. i have a proffesional breathalizer at home, not for myself as i never drink excessively, but its for my kids. if it even registers, they dont drive.

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
Is it not to bring us in line with Europe.Most new laws are driven from the EU.They are our real government.

horgantrevor

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI avantgarde c43//amg
If you drive dont drink
How could you live with your self if you killed some one all for a pint or two its a know fact it affect you that's why people drink

I have a family member killed buy a guy who was just at the pub for a few with mates
Not a nice time for both families

If your going to pub. Leave car at home please
It's grand saying I've been doing it 30 years one day your luck will run out and you may kill yourself or a stranger in the street

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
We used to have a .08 limit like yours in Oz many years ago. Was reduced to .05. Doesn't take too many beers to overstep that limit. Have to be very careful. An .02 limit is as good as saying "no drink at all".

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
An .02 limit is as good as saying "no drink at all".

Well at least if the limit was zero it would take all the guesswork out of whether we could have that second drink or not.

At this time of the year the police are out in force breathalyzing drivers during the rush hour morning traffic. I've seen way too many accidents due to the driver having a second or third or more drink(s) and the devastation to life/families it causes. I realise there are reason why the limit cannot be set to zero but the lower it is the better IMO

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I hardly ever drink,, I had 2 ciders at a meet but that was my intake for this year :D:D

trapperjohn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 300D 24v,
Last edited:

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
when i attend meets i will either have orange or coffee depending on whats available? i can drink later when we get back...usually more coffee!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I presume that the 80mg you refer to is the 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood.
Not the current 35 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.
Are you confusing the proposed 20mg as a reduction in the breath, not blood ?
I hardly drink so 2 pints would put me well over the limit and i know it would seriously impare my driving ability.
I game online and am pretty good, usually in the top 3 of any 36 player team (shooting type games) but if i were to have half a pint oir small glass of wine i cannot compete with anyone, i may feel fine but this is porof enough for me that just a little alchohol reduces my abilty to accuratley co-ordinate.
where does the line get drawn driving between acceptible and too much ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I presume that the 80mg you refer to is the 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood.
Not the current 35 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.
Are you confusing the proposed 20mg as a reduction in the breath, not blood ?
I hardly drink so 2 pints would put me well over the limit and i know it would seriously impare my driving ability.
I game online and am pretty good, usually in the top 3 of any 36 player team (shooting type games) but if i were to have half a pint oir small glass of wine i cannot compete with anyone, i may feel fine but this is porof enough for me that just a little alchohol reduces my abilty to accuratley co-ordinate.
where does the line get drawn driving between acceptible and too much ?

That also describes me down to a T

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
In some countries not even one drink if you are driving....yes I have driven after 2 glasses of wine and I assume that is probably over the limit...so no alchohol I would think would be the best bet. Everyone system is different...but maybe alchohol free driving is the answer. We can always have a nominated driver if we go out or get a taxi. What surprised me was I asked in our local pub if they sold alchohol free wine and beer...and the answer was no. Alcohol free wine I think is a good idea...I only drink wine ...like a tipple with my lunch...but if they sold this I would certainly have one glass of each.

trapperjohn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 300D 24v,
I dont mind having a cup of tea in a pub. But why oh why does it have to cost so much.
Hot water, tea bag, cup. Splash of cow juice - Sorted. They certainly charge more than half a pint of beer for a cup of tea round here.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom