Drivers window - up but not down!

gtabomber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 W202 & R33 Skyline
Hi guys!

I was hoping for a better introduction post but this one has me stumped!

My '96 C200 W202 has a fault with the drivers window. I can hear the motor try to go up but it doesnt even attempt to go down. Ive had the switch apart and it seems fine on the multimeter. Fuses are ok (the passenger window wouldnt work anyway) so im suspecting a relay problem. Ive taken a look here however there seems to be no relay relating to windows. Maybe there is a relay behind the door card?

Im going to have another look tomorrow when the sun comes back round but it doesnt look all that promising!

Any ideas?!!

Chris

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome to the forum,,you are right there is no relay and the door switch just reverses the polarity to the motor so that it reverses. the motor must be fine and it will be the door switch at fault,,a good squirt with a good switch cleaner could fix it

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
If the Motor is turning but the window is not moving then it could be the glass being stuck on the rails or even rails being too tight and not allowing any movement. Try using Silicon spray on both ends of the window to free up the contact with rails. I dont think its the relay as If it was the relay, it wouldnt even move the motor.

If above doesnt work then you may have to try with new motors.

dave.robbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SLK 350 R171
Has the battery been disconnected at all?

Seem to remember that the windows need re-setting after a battery disconnection. Something like half pressing the 'up' for 10 secs after the window is fully up, then half press down, again for 10 secs after it's fully down. Repeat for other windows.

But if the other windows are ok, then I guess this isn't the problem!

OP
G

gtabomber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 W202 & R33 Skyline
Wow, quick replies!

Ive had the switch in pieces and used a multimeter and it seems fine!

I need to change the ash tray bulb tomorrow so while its all in pieces ill give it a squirt.

I suppose ill have to take the door apart tomorrow then :(.

When pressing UP you can hear the motor. When pressing DOWN theres nothing at all so id suspect its electrical however i will give things a freeing up as suggested.

Ive only had the car a week and im pretty sure its never had the battery disconnected. All the other windows work anyway so i doubt they just need reseting.

Thanks all! :)

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
If you’re taking the door card off, no harm in trying this, it’s for the rear window, the front will be similar.

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you are taking off the door card then its simple to put 12volt onto the motor, then reverse them and one way it must go down.

If the glass is tight in the runners, then the current flowing is higher than normal, and this could have taken the switch.

If the glass is tight, then spray silicon into the runners and it will be fine

OP
G

gtabomber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 W202 & R33 Skyline
All sounds good, ill give it all a try.

Just had a look at the weather forecast and its saying heavy snow so my window might have to wait a bit!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sounds good, ill give it all a try.

Just had a look at the weather forecast and its saying heavy snow so my window might have to wait a bit!!

No staminer these young ones ;):D

louwdj

Reaction score
Intelligent window. Has also seen the weather forecast and decided open window not a wise move!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Intelligent window. Has also seen the weather forecast and decided open window not a wise move!

I had the roof down today, very nice, as you say, not looking good still:(

OP
G

gtabomber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 W202 & R33 Skyline
Definately better up than down! All though i have had to use the sunroof. The two valves i forgot the name of need sorting out so the heating isnt stuck on full heat!

Sounds like ive baught a lemon but its quite an honest car with a couple of niggles that need sorting out which should cost me nothing!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The duo valve sir,it always fails in the hot mode.

there is a DIY on this in that section

OP
G

gtabomber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 W202 & R33 Skyline
Well ive just had the drivers door apart and put a multimeter on the power going to the motor. 12v is there when pressing up but nothing when going down. Ive had the switch apart again and multimeter says its fine.

There must be some sort of control unit between the switch and the motor. Has anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Oh, i got the duovalve sorted at least!!

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Well ive just had the drivers door apart and put a multimeter on the power going to the motor. 12v is there when pressing up but nothing when going down. Ive had the switch apart again and multimeter says its fine.
Hi
Any chance of a picture or two.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
To eliminate the switch for sure you could try swapping the driver side switch over to the passenger side, if the fault migrates to the passenger side then the switch would be at fault.

Did you try my suggestion in post # 6, it certainly got dead motors working temporarily for me, never did it with the front, the are same motor just different lifting mechanism.

Photo of a passanger side regulator which is an opposit to the driver side regulator.

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The switch reverses both wires on the motor, both wires are going to the switch.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some people have all the luck. SWMBO's Peugeot has failed with the window stuck open! Motor will only run one way even when hot wired direct:(

Then not the motor stopping it

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom