Driving after a Hip Replacement Op how long

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Following an accident I had a total Right hip replacement 4 1/2 weeks ago I m ambulant without sticks ( unless its a long walk ) and have been discharged from consultant / hospital to my GP on wednesday from what i can ascertain ( i'm insured with AVIVA multi car ) then I can drive ;

Can I drive after an operation?​

As long as the doctor has given you the all clear and you feel OK to drive, then it's absolutely fine. You don't need to provide proof and we don't need to note anything on your policy, unless it's a medical condition that you've notified the DVLA about.
"
searching on the web 6 weeks seems a norm for returning to driving so do i now have to book an appointment with my GP for him to give me the all clear
it appears some companies are happy after 6 weeks as long as you can perform an emergency stop
I ve driven my cars on the drive and can do an emergency stop i've not been on any painkillers for 2 weeks plus now so my reaction times are normal
anyone any experience of jumping through the relevant hoops
tried to contact aviva but it just drops the call and refers me to the chatbot which says as above
I'm ready to drive now and have a nice comfy high seated vito which is like sitting in my hospital issued ortho chair so no low seated 90 degree issues to worry about
when i asked doc at my discharge about driving he said we recommend 6-8 weeks after so not a no but not a yes either..... non committal ground
leaving me where ?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
For 100% clarity phone your doctor and if he asks you how are etc, they should say your fit to drive again.
I Had a foot operation June 24th and I have been told not to drive for up to 10 weeks due to the nature of repairs, plates and bone graphs I had.
I'll envy you though :D

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
Following an accident I had a total Right hip replacement 4 1/2 weeks ago I m ambulant without sticks ( unless its a long walk ) and have been discharged from consultant / hospital to my GP on wednesday from what i can ascertain ( i'm insured with AVIVA multi car ) then I can drive ;

Can I drive after an operation?​

As long as the doctor has given you the all clear and you feel OK to drive, then it's absolutely fine. You don't need to provide proof and we don't need to note anything on your policy, unless it's a medical condition that you've notified the DVLA about.
"
searching on the web 6 weeks seems a norm for returning to driving so do i now have to book an appointment with my GP for him to give me the all clear
it appears some companies are happy after 6 weeks as long as you can perform an emergency stop

Same thing happened to me way back in the 1980s. I met a man from Greenland driving on the wrong side of a road in Cambridgeshire, him not me, and that put me in Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge for six months with two shattered legs and two shattered arms among many other things, and a replacement right hip. The last two months were spent in their rehab ward learning to walk again, and as soon as I was able to hand my crutches back a month or two later, I asked my Consultant about driving again. He told me I was the best judge of my abilities, but take it easy to start with, and buy an automatic. On his advice, he'd worked on countless injuries like mine, I didn't ask my insurers or the DVLA, or whatever they were called back then, and no real problems other than the inevitable leg weakness, and it all went OK. I was sure I could have coped with anything like an emergency stop. Then, about three years later, X-rays told the hospital that my hip had recovered enough to support itself, so they opened me up again and removed the metalwork, again, once I got used to everything, no real problems. I tried left foot braking at first, but found that awkward and went back to right foot only.

Doctors don't know everything, and they're all pessimists, mine told me I'd be riddled with arthritis by the time I reached my 40s, and now at 70, not even an occasional twinge, I attribute that to a succession of energetic Cairn terriers and well, just luck really. Insurers & the DVLA will probably be more of a problem today, but you're the best judge of your abilities. If you believe you're really OK, I think better not to ask

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Boyd!!! What happened to you?

if it helps any, my (sadly now late) ex Father in Law was able to drive 6 weeks after his hip replacement.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
My wife has had both hips replaced over the last 3 years, she started driving again when she felt up to it.
She was signed off by the consultant after about 3 weeks.

OP
T

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Boyd!!! What happened to you?

if it helps any, my (sadly now late) ex Father in Law was able to drive 6 weeks after his hip replacement.
Hi craig long time no speak we must have a midlands GTG soon :) ..... when i can drive again hopefully in a couple of weeks

My Accident
4Wks + ago last sunday enjoying myself rollerskating with Rollerskating Mob in cannon hill park and was just going to get my kit and go home when my wheels slipped on grass next thing ,both legs in the air and down with a crunch on my right hip, after which I could not move
After an ambulance trip to the Q E Hospital X-ray revealed an out of line broken neck of Femur which according to the consultant the best repair would be to do a complete Right Hip Replacement which was carried out the next morning week ago
I was discharged following saturday after a "difficult "week in hospital where other bodily functions halted I was home first week felt pretty delicate just rested at home and went out for 2-3 walks a day on crutches each week has seen a significant improvement and i now can walk a reasonable distance without anything although longer walks necessitate aid from a stick
Its like being in prison for me , no driving , no windsurfing no paddleboarding, no ice skating, obviously no roller blading :shock: no rock and roll dancing, life has seemingly come to a stop for me pending recovery / rehab which with my active lifestyle i m finding difficult , but i suppose its just time.
So thats where i am now , currently at our holiday home in Poole getting some daily aquatherapy with gentle swimming twice a day in the sea which in the current heatwave is a welcome diversion
I’ve been Ice skating and rollerblading for nearly 50 years including playing ice hockey up to a few years ago with only one major hockey injury, but my luck ran out........
fast forward the recovery phase which should be about 12 weeks to 90 percent functionality
Hope You and the family are well hows work ?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hi craig long time no speak we must have a midlands GTG soon :) ..... when i can drive again hopefully in a couple of weeks

My Accident
4Wks + ago last sunday enjoying myself rollerskating with Rollerskating Mob in cannon hill park and was just going to get my kit and go home when my wheels slipped on grass next thing ,both legs in the air and down with a crunch on my right hip, after which I could not move
After an ambulance trip to the Q E Hospital X-ray revealed an out of line broken neck of Femur which according to the consultant the best repair would be to do a complete Right Hip Replacement which was carried out the next morning week ago
I was discharged following saturday after a "difficult "week in hospital where other bodily functions halted I was home first week felt pretty delicate just rested at home and went out for 2-3 walks a day on crutches each week has seen a significant improvement and i now can walk a reasonable distance without anything although longer walks necessitate aid from a stick
Its like being in prison for me , no driving , no windsurfing no paddleboarding, no ice skating, obviously no roller blading :shock: no rock and roll dancing, life has seemingly come to a stop for me pending recovery / rehab which with my active lifestyle i m finding difficult , but i suppose its just time.
So thats where i am now , currently at our holiday home in Poole getting some daily aquatherapy with gentle swimming twice a day in the sea which in the current heatwave is a welcome diversion
I’ve been Ice skating and rollerblading for nearly 50 years including playing ice hockey up to a few years ago with only one major hockey injury, but my luck ran out........
fast forward the recovery phase which should be about 12 weeks to 90 percent functionality
Hope You and the family are well hows work ?
That’s quite the story! Fingers crossed for a fast recovery!
Work is good, started a new position last Oct which is great (but 70-75hr weeks!) so v happy there.
I had a bout of kidney stones last month which was horrendous, never known pain like it. Then ten days ago out of nowhere (seemingly) herself woke me at 0400 saying, “wake up, I think I’m having a baby” and an hour later- with me as midwife, to the instructions of the 999 dispatcher- she did, ambulance still 20 mins away.
I think it’s called “stealth pregnancy” but she had no indications of it at all. So, we now have daughter no.3, and she’s just perfect, already mostly sleeping through the night and very chilled.

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
That all sounds depressingly familiar tjamesbo, including the bodily functions closedown, that's due to the painkillers and immobility, but time is a great healer. The degree of recovery is largely down to you, lots of walking and other exercise, work hard at it. I was around 30 when it all happened to me, which obviously helped with recovery. Has your affected leg been shortened? Modern replacement joints, better surgical techniques and a simple break usually avoids this, it was much more of a problem years ago with the joints they used then. I had multiple compound fractures, nine I think between knee and hip, my x-ray was a zig-zag, so I had a very unpleasant three months in traction. I lost about 2" on that side, but with a built up shoe, only a barely noticeable limp, and no problems with driving. I have weakness and slightly restricted movement, but no real pain or discomfort.

Hope everything goes well, and do keep us informed.

OP
T

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Co
That’s quite the story! Fingers crossed for a fast recovery!
Work is good, started a new position last Oct which is great (but 70-75hr weeks!) so v happy there.
I had a bout of kidney stones last month which was horrendous, never known pain like it. Then ten days ago out of nowhere (seemingly) herself woke me at 0400 saying, “wake up, I think I’m having a baby” and an hour later- with me as midwife, to the instructions of the 999 dispatcher- she did, ambulance still 20 mins away.
I think it’s called “stealth pregnancy” but she had no indications of it at all. So, we now have daughter no.3, and she’s just perfect, already mostly sleeping through the night and very chilled.
congratulations ! certainly an eventful period Yes, Kidneys stones are amongst the most painful sufferings I ll see if Alistair wants to organise a midlands GTG be good to see fellow members again

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
My wife had both of her hips replaced,, and she was given a do , and dont do, information sheet like you should have had . She just told me your off the road for 6 weeks .

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom