Driving licence

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
My licence runs out on 5 May so got a letter last week saying apply for a new one.Received it today & it runs out on 15 Aug,the day before I'm 70.
What I don't understand is why they didn't make the expiry of my last one 15 Aug?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
is that because from being 70 you need to get a doctor to confirm you're still ok to drive ....???

my paper licence runs out the day before my 70th birthday

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
Bureaucracy, in one word! Mine runs out on 16th June, day before I am 70. Have applied already for new one. they wanted old one back, cut in half, not a chance before new one arrives. Also took photos of current driving licence. My mate who amongst other things is a motorcycle trainer with the police, had his motorcycle entitlement removed last time he renewed his licence because of going from paper to photocard. Had to retake his motorcycle test. I renewed on-line but realise I will lose mini-bus and another group, but don’t use them.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
....... My mate who amongst other things is a motorcycle trainer with the police, had his motorcycle entitlement removed last time he renewed his licence because of going from paper to photocard. Had to retake his motorcycle test. ......
I've heard of various cases like that and the fact you have to retake the test is unbelievable ..... the information on the previous entitlements must be on record somewhere.

OP
C

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
Just looked at the backs of both new & old and they both have expiry dates of 15.08.2023....but the front of the old one says 16.05.2023.
Bonkers!

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
Just looked at the backs of both new & old and they both have expiry dates of 15.08.2023....but the front of the old one says 16.05.2023.
Bonkers!
Obviously have never heard of right first time!

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I just renewed my photocard licence at the beginning of this month. The old one was due to expire in April but I got the reminder in at end of February so I just done it quickly rather than waiting till the expiry date.
By law your photograph expires after exactly 10 years so you need to get a new one, but logic dictates that your entitlement to drive has not expired...only your photograph.
When I need to renew my photograph next time my licence will only be valid for 4 years which takes me up to my 70th birthday.
Then I believe it is a simple online self certificate excercise to renew it for A and B categories.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Don’t need anything from the doc or anyone else unless, you have issues. I got mine last October.
OK ....I thought you had to confirm with your doctor that you were well.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

Driving while DVLA has your licence​

You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:

• you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
  • you had a valid licence
  • you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
  • your application is less than a year old
  • your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
  • you’re not currently disqualified
  • you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
I knew your doctor was involved somewhere along the line because my Dad was sent for tests on the back renewing licence a few years ago which ultimately led to his 3 way by-pass

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Yes it does say that but no proof is required for A and B category licence renewals as long as you are in good physical health.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG

Driving while DVLA has your licence​

You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:

• you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
  • you had a valid licence
  • you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
  • your application is less than a year old
  • your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
  • you’re not currently disqualified
  • you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
I knew your doctor was involved somewhere along the line because my Dad was sent for tests on the back renewing licence a few years ago which ultimately led to his 3 way by-pass

How do you know if you have the support of your Doctor ? Mine is far too busy to care about my driving.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Bureaucracy, in one word! Mine runs out on 16th June, day before I am 70. Have applied already for new one. they wanted old one back, cut in half, not a chance before new one arrives. Also took photos of current driving licence. My mate who amongst other things is a motorcycle trainer with the police, had his motorcycle entitlement removed last time he renewed his licence because of going from paper to photocard. Had to retake his motorcycle test. I renewed on-line but realise I will lose mini-bus and another group, but don’t use them.
Regarding mini-bus and some caravans (I think) if you are already driving those and need to retain that part of the licence, can you not ask for it to be retained? I was in the same situation, but after 70 wasn't needing them, so like you it wasn't an issue.

Ernie

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I am over 70 I had the same problem a few years back, I re-applied & the second one was for 3 years.
Possibly you applied for a replacement without realising?
Strangely my latest one is for 4 years.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom