Dropping something between seat and transmission tunnel - certainly SL R230 maybe others.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Twice now I have dropped something between the seat and transmission tunnel in my R230 SL. First was a £20 note. Second was my phone. When the phone went down the crack my heart sank.
I might be missing a trick, but it feels near impossible to get something back from that place. I've moved seat up, back, forward etc. it did not help.

It feels like something that can happen a lot, and that both previous times I felt I was just lucky to get it back. I do try very hard now not to do it again, such as making sure I have nothing in my left pocket, but that just feels like it should not be necessary.

Is there an easy way to recover things lost down the side of the drivers seat?
Thanks
Mark

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Not an R230 but I dropped the micro sd card from the dashcam and never expect to see it again without taking the seats out :(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Mercedes used to fit an extra pad there - W210 was the last one I had with them to stop things falling down the gap.
Lift the seat up, hope the seat mechanism doesn't crush the phone and try and get to it from underneath

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Out of all the r230's we have had we've not dropped anything down between the seats :p Maybe that is where the keyless go card is complete with flat battery :eek:

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
I've had this happen with my current C Class. Maybe the gap isn't quite so tight, but I raised the seat and poked things out forwards or backwards with a length of bendy curtain wire.

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I'd be carful about moving the seat to retrieve your phone, the last thing that you want to do is to crack the phone screen or worse crush the battery. Would an old fashioned wire coat hanger straightened out help.

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
^^^^ Absolutely, I agree. I bought the flexible pick up tool (there was one for about £3) and it now lives in the car. It was used earlier this week for a set of keys that were about to go into the centre console but escaped down The Gap. Pick up tool did the job very quickly. Not sure how well it will work with the bar of soap that is a smart phone.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom