E Series: Magnifying Dipped Lens Cleaning

Wilf Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E 220 CDI - 2011
Hi - I have a Mercedes E Series 2011, and I am wondering if anyone has tried cleaning the headlamp lenses?

In particular the dipped beam lens on mine which is a magnifying lens type. Would it possible for example, to clean this in place with perhaps a cloth attached to a 'grab' type probe?

Wilf Carter

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Mercedes have “Class”... it’s BM that have a series...

You can get headlight cleaning kits that work pretty well

OP
W

Wilf Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes have “Class”... it’s BM that have a series...

You can get headlight cleaning kits that work pretty well
Hi - thanks very much for your reply. I don't think I made it clear that it is the inside of the magnifying lens that I would like to clean. As far as I can see all these repair kits are for the outside.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
OP
W

Wilf Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ah, ok, I did read on some cars the projector lens goes wrong. early attempts at plastic that wasn't really suitable?

you can make up a heater box with cardboard and a hairdryer to melt the adhesive that hold the headlamp unit together...
plenty of youtube video, that would let you pull it all apart.... but if the lens has gone I believe its gone !

https://furoreproducts.co.uk/projector-headlights

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/80
Hi - thanks for this excellent info. Think the lens are in reasonable shape, don't think they need replaced, just the lens cleaned if possible. Would it possible for example, if the bulb was removed , to go in with perhaps a cloth attached to a 'grab' type probe?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
depend what you can reach

some camera cleaning kit might work. Lint free, soft and something you wont drop inside
there's a you tube video of someone breaking these w211 lights apart to swap the UV damaged headlamp cover

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
If it is that you do manage to get the lens off you lights , it is impossible to clean the chrome deflectors ,, and anything you put on the chrome type finish will scratch it . I had a go at my old Saab deflectors and scratched them with just cotton wool .On the Saab the chrome was like a semi type chrome finish, it came off on my thimb . So now when i do my W124 i just open them up and clean the glass lens in, and out , and replace .

OP
W

Wilf Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

some camera cleaning kit might work. Lint free, soft and something you wont drop inside
there's a you tube video of someone breaking these w211 lights apart to swap the UV damaged headlamp cover

Thank you very much for that helpful information.

OP
W

Wilf Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it is that you do manage to get the lens off you lights , it is impossible to clean the chrome deflectors ,, and anything you put on the chrome type finish will scratch it . I had a go at my old Saab deflectors and scratched them with just cotton wool .On the Saab the chrome was like a semi type chrome finish, it came off on my thimb . So now when i do my W124 i just open them up and clean the glass lens in, and out , and replace .

Thanks very much for that info. I had heard that the deflectors couldn't be refurbished. So it all depends what condition they are in.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
To take a headlamp apart you need to put the unit into a VERY carefully temperature- controlled oven big enough to take the whole lamp envelope. The melting point of the glue holding the lens on is a specific point around 95C, but beware doing this as some critical internal components will start to deform at anything much over this.

What is wrong with your projector lenses that they need “cleaning”? The lamps are fully sealed units so dirt should not have entered.

OP
W

Wilf Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To take a headlamp apart you need to put the unit into a VERY carefully temperature- controlled oven big enough to take the whole lamp envelope. The melting point of the glue holding the lens on is a specific point around 95C, but beware doing this as some critical internal components will start to deform at anything much over this.

What is wrong with your projector lenses that they need “cleaning”? The lamps are fully sealed units so dirt should not have entered.

Hi - thanks for that.

I am realizing that this seems to be a lot more technical that I thought!

A few years ago the dipped beams projector lenses night-time vision with the standard halogen bulbs was very poor, and I got the bulbs changed to Xeon 130% and then later to Xeon 150%, resulting in much improved night-time vision.

I was under the impression that the dipped beam projector lenses were in need of cleaning (because of the original problem) and that by perhaps inserting a suitable cloth with a 'probe' through the bulb aperture, that cleaning the inside of the glass lenses could be effected?

I was not anticipating that dismantling of the unit might be required.

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel

Legitstreetcar..... Alex. Replaced the outer lenses.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hi - thanks for that.

I am realizing that this seems to be a lot more technical that I thought!

A few years ago the dipped beams projector lenses night-time vision with the standard halogen bulbs was very poor, and I got the bulbs changed to Xeon 130% and then later to Xeon 150%, resulting in much improved night-time vision.

I was under the impression that the dipped beam projector lenses were in need of cleaning (because of the original problem) and that by perhaps inserting a suitable cloth with a 'probe' through the bulb aperture, that cleaning the inside of the glass lenses could be effected?

I was not anticipating that dismantling of the unit might be required.

Yep, it’s pretty complex and also really quite fiddly. Plus, reassembling the lamps needs a specific adhesive that isn’t readily available to domestic customers. Tigerseal won’t do it!

The PES lenses in your lamps. Are they milky? Unusual if so as they are typically still glass, not optical polycarbonate.

What about the exterior lens of your lamps? Have they started to yellow? If so you can buy a cleaning kit for about £50, which does an excellent job and is a long term fix.

I’d also recommend investing £20-odd and swapping your headlamp bulbs for Osram Nightbreaker Laser, forget the 150% bollocks; Nightbreakers are the brightest halogen lamps on the market and will certainly improve the luminous flux output and throw of your frontal lighting.

OP
W

Wilf Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep, it’s pretty complex and also really quite fiddly. Plus, reassembling the lamps needs a specific adhesive that isn’t readily available to domestic customers. Tigerseal won’t do it!

The PES lenses in your lamps. Are they milky? Unusual if so as they are typically still glass, not optical polycarbonate.

What about the exterior lens of your lamps? Have they started to yellow? If so you can buy a cleaning kit for about £50, which does an excellent job and is a long term fix.

I’d also recommend investing £20-odd and swapping your headlamp bulbs for Osram Nightbreaker Laser, forget the 150% bollocks; Nightbreakers are the brightest halogen lamps on the market and will certainly improve the luminous flux output and throw of your frontal lighting.

Great stuff, that sounds like a good idea, but my Xeon 150% ******** cost a lot more than approx £20!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
With your xeons 150%, has this been caused by extra heat issues?

OP
W

Wilf Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With your xeons 150%, has this been caused by extra heat issues?

Thanks very much for your post, I don't think heat is a problem with the Xeons. I do remember years ago when I fitted a 100 watt standard Halogen to my headlamps in an older car where the glass was too thin, it cracked it.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom