E10 and engine warning light

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500 w216
Morning all. I've got a 2007 CL500. Just been in for its B service. I filled it up with E10 petrol a couple of weeks ago, and after a couple of drives the engine warning light has come on. Could the two events be linked? I've read that E10 can affect sensors etc. If this is the case, will filling up with E5 high perf fuel fix it, or do I need to visit the garage? Thanks for your help.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Highly unlikely to be linked. Get the codes read.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500 w216
Just an update. I filled the tank with 99 Octane E5. Drove a couple of times. On the third start of the engine, the engine warning light went out and has stayed off for the three drives I've had since then. So E5 seems to have fixed the problem. I'll update this thread if the problem reappears, but so far, so good.

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Just an update. I filled the tank with 99 Octane E5. Drove a couple of times. On the third start of the engine, the engine warning light went out and has stayed off for the three drives I've had since then. So E5 seems to have fixed the problem. I'll update this thread if the problem reappears, but so far, so good.
I have had an intermittent engine light for about 18 months now. Pleases it'self when it comes on, goes off. Sometimes stays on for a day, sometimes weeks. I have read the codes and tried this and that. New MAF. Breather pipes etc. One day I will get to the bottom of it. Chaging to E10 doesn't seem to have made a difference. As above, read the codes, but may not help. Just give a vague idea where to look.

Shahinur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Kompressor, 2005, 1.8l,
I have had an intermittent engine light for about 18 months now. Pleases it'self when it comes on, goes off. Sometimes stays on for a day, sometimes weeks. I have read the codes and tried this and that. New MAF. Breather pipes etc. One day I will get to the bottom of it. Chaging to E10 doesn't seem to have made a difference. As above, read the codes, but may not help. Just give a vague idea where to look.
Hello Brian, hope you are doing good. Me too having the same problem. I though premium petrol will solve the issue but some it keeps coming on and off again. Just wondering, do you have any update or new finding?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hello Brian, hope you are doing good. Me too having the same problem. I though premium petrol will solve the issue but some it keeps coming on and off again. Just wondering, do you have any update or new finding?
As I said to you earlier, get the codes read.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
which engine ?

the M273 v8 shouldn't throw a light with E10 - plenty of other reasons the light might crop up though

Crank Postion Sensor (intermittent EML and stalling)
Worn cam sprockets / early cam sensors / stretched cam chain
Oddly the Coilpacks doing their usual trick will bring a noticeable misfire, yet not throw the EML

Top Bottom