E200 Kompressor 2001. Rust starting to show.

Joe Cotter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Kompressor/2001/2 litre petrol
Hi There,

Rust is starting to show on wheel arches - is this worth fixing? I have had the car since new and love it.

Break pipes are also showing signs of rust.

I have no mechanical ability.

Otherwise I will drive it into the ground and buy another new car.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A lot will depend on how much youre willing to spend, condition of the rest of the car, how bad the rust is and how much hidden rust there is. Front wings are easy as they bolt on. Rear arches are more problematic.

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Brake pipes are easy, jack it up, wheel off, pressure wash the wheel arch out, and when dry you can either: paint the pipes with something like hammerite, brush grease on them or waxoyl.

For the arches, I'd get some body shop quotes, for all 4 arches tidied up and sprayed, would be fairly pricey, probably between £500 - 800.

Hate to say it but... there are also some good scrappage deals out there, you can get up to £5k for a pre-2009 car, some schemes are just diesel, but a lot take petrols also, so maybe its a good time to change.

OP
J

Joe Cotter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Kompressor/2001/2 litre petrol
Brake pipes are easy, jack it up, wheel off, pressure wash the wheel arch out, and when dry you can either: paint the pipes with something like hammerite, brush grease on them or waxoyl.

For the arches, I'd get some body shop quotes, for all 4 arches tidied up and sprayed, would be fairly pricey, probably between £500 - 800.

Hate to say it but... there are also some good scrappage deals out there, you can get up to £5k for a pre-2009 car, some schemes are just diesel, but a lot take petrols also, so maybe its a good time to change.
Thanks for that.
The problem is that all the new cars I like are very pricey!!
My engine and gear box have had no work on them even after 135,000 miles. My fear is that I spend the money on bodywork and the engine/gearbox goes south.
I think I may take advantage of a deal.
Joe

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom