E220 poor idle

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
All of the above. - The obvious and easy one swap is the MAF back and fore. A COUPLE OF CLIPS and an rotating electrical plug. Try swapping the OVP relays also.- not at the same time obviously.

A more difficult one might be a partially collapsed catalytic converter giving significant exhaust back pressure= almost impossible to test except by substitution= last resort.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Back to post 1, do check the throttle return springs, one breaks and stops the idle microswitch being pressed - very easy to check.

There is a snapped spring on the throttle, only one works! Never guessed it could be that simple.

Last edited:
OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK, so i checked the removed purge valve, it is indeed open (can blow air through it) but so is the one off the working car. But there is also a loose spring broken in half on the top right of the throttle. Trouble is I can't find where the other end of this spring should be...and the other car has a different throttle design for some reason (because it is pre facelift??) so no luck there.

So question is where can i get another spring for and where do i attach it to if I do get one...will try OVP relays/MAFs after I've done this spring. I can't drive either car now as someone has kindly stolen the registration plate off my car and the other is uninsured so will try to get this spring sorted (as well as a new plate!)

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Has the air flow plate been tampered with

I don't know what that is, but basically the car suddenly started cutting out all the time 18 months ago, some diagnostic work was done and a new maf was decided as needed and that cured the cutting out but yet the car never ran as smooth since then. so i guess it's possible?

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
This any help? Might be worth renewing the throttle cable at the same time?

Attachments

• springs.JPG
    springs.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This any help? Might be worth renewing the throttle cable at the same time?

Sure is, so the spring top right is not attached to anything. i'm on holiday for a week so will reply back then when i've had more time to play around and swap things!

Thanks all for your patience with me! Ben

Top Bottom