e230 service assist 1997 model

3898johnm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220....124 E230....210
I have just had a service at my local inde and on returning home I noticed that in position two the dash lights went off with the exception of the asr/bas and the battery icon before I moved to the starting position. These should stay on in theory until either you start the engine or switch off. The garage had reset the service assist via their computer but on checking the remaing mileage was still exactly 10000 although I had done about 30 miles. On return ing to the garage the technician said that the mileage assist figure will only reduce when I do about 500 miles.I assumed that the 10000 figure would reduce mile by mile...i.e.10000,9999,9998 etc.Am I right? Unfortunately,the dash light problem is intermittent and did not show (sods' law) so their diagnostic did not show anything.My theory is that the service assist should reduce by each mile and that the glich is related someway to this.Can anyone tell me for definite if I am right?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the service interval indicator will only go down in increments of either 100 or 500 miles. not sure which. ive never seen one yet that goes down mile by mile. i didnt even know that it was called assist though. thought that was only on newer cars with the buttons on the steering wheel. i cant say for certain about the intervals your 97 car reduces the mileage to service, as i reset mine myself as per the instructions in the manual and if im honest, ive never checked it since to see how large the increments are that it drops in! ive never even looked up to find out how to bring that up on the dash! maybe i should though.......

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
service assist late 97 year model.

Hi, I have exactly the same car, my assist mileage changes in "chunks" of figures according to how i use the car as its garaged up mostly and only does about 3.000mls a year . over a 2 year period it does eventually get up to the 9.000ml service level, thats where mine starts from 9k.as the service is 9.000 or 2 years , it wont change for a while as i do trips of 100mls at a time when i use the car, and then when i do a short trip " 30mls" and check the trip it may have dropped to 8.600 ml service figure, its only caculates the figure as to how you use the car, ie start stop / long trips etc, there is no set dropping of mileage. If you have the original hand books they will give you this guide and also how to reset the trip yourself! all the best. rap.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
mines a 99 car. when i reset the interval it said it was due in 10k miles. i think im gonna get the manual out and read up on it. i know its a totally different system to dads w203 assist which has the buttons on the steering wheel. maybe i should see when service is due. i may need to adjust my life to budget for it!

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Mine when reset indicates 10,000 miles, but i got closer 18,000 miles before it counted down to zero, the increments count down in units of 500 miles which increases to units of 100 miles as it gets closer to service time IIRC. When my car reached 900 miles i topped up the engine oil and this caused it to increase too 2000 miles to service.
The time interval for the service is dependant on the quality of oil used for the service and when serviced the quality of oil is selected from a menu in "STAR".
I have always believed this to be true from reading other forums etc. if anyone else think this incorrect please feel free to comment.

Veridian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230...about to purchase will update shortly
My W210 does exactly the same as Andy's. and I too note it depends on the quality of oil you use and the type of trips you do. Pottering around London and Surrey it drops in blocks of 500 miles just about on par with the mileage I do, yet I can go for a blast to Devon and back and knock up over 500 miles and the interval won't change.

Shockingly, I note that Tesco of all outlets is stocking AM rated 0W/40 fully synthetic oil at less than £20 a gallon. I think even Mobil 1 and Shell Helix 'only' have an AL rating! still. Makes you wonder what you are paying for!

Top Bottom