e230 underneath the engine

3898johnm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220....124 E230....210
Sometimes one's mind goes blank.I was underneath the car today and just generally givinig it a visual when I suddenly wondered should there not be an under-the-engine cover with a profiled cut out round the sump for access . I know there are many different engines with the 210 bodyshell.On mine there is no cover from behind the radiator so with the bonnet up you are looking down at the tarmac or when underneath looking up through the engine at the sky. I wondered if at some time there was a cover and it was removed for access to fit a new ball joint or more recently a water pump,belt tensioner and fanbelt. Has anyone got an e230 1997? I would appreciate advice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There should be a cover, but the fastenings break so the chances are they did not put it back on.

quite a few postings here on how the cover fixing points have been changed

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I thought mine was missing on the C43 but after buying a new under tray & fixings, I realised that mine was fitted but it was further back than I expected to be, and as you, I could see the road from above looking down from behind the radiator.
Have a look underneath and if your sump plug drain is clearly visible then as you suspected the tray is missing, a new one is approx £25 from MB, in my experience buy new fixings ie screws/bolts x4, caged nuts x4, approx. approx. £5 from MB for piece of mind as it may have been left off because of broken/missing caged nuts.

OP

3898johnm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220....124 E230....210
Many thanksfor your help. No matter what smooth chat you get at reception all garage work qualitywise is only as good as the fitter left to do the job.If garages made sure good care was taken in the first instance managers would need to spend less time waffling excuses afterwards.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom