E270 Cdi Ecu Gone West

baldywig

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post here & i am wound up:mad: , my car went into dealer for b service 3 1/2 weeks ago & i havent seen it since, the engine management light was on when it went in & they were unable to diagnose why, i had a phone call a week ago saying that it was probably due to a faulty ECU, the cost of which is £1100--O M G -- how much,blimey charlie i said thats rather pricey( not quite so polite though ), i had to pay before the part was even ordered & it was a back order-5-10 days, after 3 unreturned phone calls & a bit of thought i finally spoke to a sensible person there & just asked the question "should an ECU fail on a quality 3 1/2 year old vehicle" , now i know it should not & mr mercedes agreed , anyway after a bit of banter mercedes have agreed to pay 50% of the part price with me paying labour costs, so i am not so wound up now but i just want the car back asap :neutral:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
At the end of the day, they're just electronics like TVs and videos and even good ones can go pop.
Too late sadly - but ECUs can be repaired (like TVs and Videos). Firms normally charge a fixed price of £200 or so. It's normally just a blown resistor or some other 10p component.

Also dealers often blame the ECU when it's not. They just can't figure it so replace the brain as a cop out. There have been quite a few people who have paid out for an ECU only to find that the problem persists.
So, give the car a thorough test when you collect it and insist on keeping the old ECU. If they they won't let you have it (exchange unit or some other excuse), insist they keep it on site for 6 weeks in case it wasn't faulty in which case they can put the old one back and give you a refund.

Forewarned is forearmed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
At the end of the day, they're just electronics like TVs and videos and even good ones can go pop.
Too late sadly - but ECUs can be repaired (like TVs and Videos). Firms normally charge a fixed price of £200 or so. It's normally just a blown resistor or some other 10p component.

Also dealers often blame the ECU when it's not. They just can't figure it so replace the brain as a cop out. There have been quite a few people who have paid out for an ECU only to find that the problem persists.
So, give the car a thorough test when you collect it and insist on keeping the old ECU. If they they won't let you have it (exchange unit or some other excuse), insist they keep it on site for 6 weeks in case it wasn't faulty in which case they can put the old one back and give you a refund.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Thank you Jberks for the perfect answer, do hang on to the old one

OP
B

baldywig

Reaction score
ok will do that--thanks, i dont think it is all ecu problems anyway.

OP
B

baldywig

Reaction score
hi all--it was all ecu problems & since fitted is now running A1 ,it also cured a key problem(key not recognised all the time ), i have had it back for 3 weeks now, thanks again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks for posting back, Have you got the old one (ECU)

Top Bottom