E270 CDI Mirror Issue

jb1940

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class / 2004 / 270
Does anyone know why the driveres mirror on my E Class would appear to have a mind of its own.

On entering the car the drivers mirror sometimes remains closed and only the passenegers side will open. If the button is pressed the mirror then folds out.

It has only happened a couple of times but just wondering if this is yet another fault.

Just had the turbo replaced following an issue with the car not being able to do more than 60 miles an hour but luckily the nice people at Isaac Agnew Portadown replaced it for free - even though the warranty had expired about 8 weeks ago!!

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the driveres mirror on my E Class would appear to have a mind of its own.

On entering the car the drivers mirror sometimes remains closed and only the passenegers side will open. If the button is pressed the mirror then folds out.

It has only happened a couple of times but just wondering if this is yet another fault.

Just had the turbo replaced following an issue with the car not being able to do more than 60 miles an hour but luckily the nice people at Isaac Agnew Portadown replaced it for free - even though the warranty had expired about 8 weeks ago!!
Although the internal wiring on these mirrors does have a known issue, on this one i think its better you have a diagnostics test done as it is intermittent, and as you say it can be closed independently.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Although the internal wiring on these mirrors does have a known issue, on this one i think its better you have a diagnostics test done as it is intermittent, and as you say it can be closed independently.

There are no recorded issues with the wiring on these mirrors,as for the best part they are 90% the same as all of the other mirrors and they do not have wiring issues either.
The worst that happens is that they can become tight on the swiveling joints and a few sprays of PTFE lubricant works wonders, its quite possible that that motor stalls duo to the high current in this condition.

This is one of the against reasons for not having them on the auto mode

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
Do they squeak/creak when swivelling ? NOt as daft as it sound, if they do, they need lubing as per above, and this will help both the motors and your neighbours peace!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
They do this from time to time. It's because one has stuck rather than being a motor or wiring issue. If it happens again, just give it a gentle tap and it should roll out with the other. If it's creaking, then a little lubricant doesn't go amiss.

GerryV

Registered
Reaction score

I too have an E270 CDI (probably same age, just over 3yrs old) where the mirrors are occasionally reluctant to move. I've only ever applied a little lubricant to resolve the problem.

I'd like to know a bit more about the issues leading up to your turbo being replaced. My car put itself into "limp home mode" a few weeks ago. It righted itself after restarting the engine but has not had quite the same performance/economy since, plus it hangs onto the gears much longer than it used to before changing up.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'd like to know a bit more about the issues leading up to your turbo being replaced. My car put itself into "limp home mode" a few weeks ago. It righted itself after restarting the engine but has not had quite the same performance/economy since, plus it hangs onto the gears much longer than it used to before changing up.

before going down the turbo route, see if any fault codes are stored. 99/100 it will be the MAS (AKA MAF, Mass air sensor, Air Mass Sensor and that "****** unreliable sensor!"). It is by far the most common cause of safe mode, loss of power, poor fuel economy and a litany of other ills.

If it is, there are lots of advice on here with regard to cleaning it and replacing the innards at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

That said, there were rumours recently about MB replacing them as a service item (shows how reliable they are!) and reducing the prices accordingly.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
On Diesel vehicles the air mass is a serviceable item. Its in the MB literatutre we used to get as Technicians

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom