E280 Brakes Noise

s2art50

Reaction score
It's driving me mad, this loud and intrusive groaning noise from under the bonnet of my 2005 E280 CDI. I've had a modification done by MB under warranty, but it made no difference at all, and my local dealership says it's normal. Can this possibly be true - I just cannot believe it. It occurs when first starting up and then whenever I apply the footbrake. The noise is noticeable on the open road but is worse when idling in traffic, when it is positively intrusive. Passengers are also aware of it, and two other E Class owners I know say they don't have the problem. What can I do? Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
MB have dropped this system on the facelift 'E'. MB say that the brakes on the new 'E' don't need it, IMHO they cannot get it right so have dropped it.

124coupe

Reaction score
For the W/S211, the DTB for SBC noise reduction is P-B-42.46/27d entitled "Buzzing/Droning noises during pressure build up of SBC system".

Make sure this is the one they followed as it should make the noise hard to detect except when idling with the radio off.

The mod adds a damper to the pipework to limit nosie transmission into the cabin.

Worked for me!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Soon I will have sensonic brakes, its only been dropped on the E class, to my knowledge.

malcolm

timodell

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem with my 2005 280CDI, although I have to say after I insisted on the modification I don't find the noise quite as frequent or as intrusive. I wonder if the problem is model specific? I certainly still get a noticeable "graunching" when I first start the engine, it just seems that the previous "top-ups" almost every time you push the brakes are now much less frequent, which makes me think that the valve/pipework that they fitted somehow keeps the pressure from dropping so quickly. I would go back to the dealer and insist they check that they have done everything specified in the bulletin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apart from the damper, there is a software update, most people are happy with the mod.

Malcolm

timodell

Reaction score
Can you give more details on the software update...is it part of the Command HU software upgrade (which I am pretty sure they didn't change as part of the Mod as it is still a 49.04 version) or is it purely for the brakes...in which case how can you tell if it has been done?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
timodell said:
Can you give more details on the software update...is it part of the Command HU software upgrade (which I am pretty sure they didn't change as part of the Mod as it is still a 49.04 version) or is it purely for the brakes...in which case how can you tell if it has been done?

Sorry that info I do not have, but two members here had it done, with noted improvements. As stated elswhere the hardware is in the form of a damper across the pump in the off side front, just behind the rad. My new to me 04 car has it, but I don't get it till next week.

malcolm

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom